Auto Insurance and our trucks.

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
Wawanesa is worth a shot. I received a quote from them that looked reasonable for a 6 month quote....it was a 12 month quote. Quite pleased with their service as well.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 17 and have never had a speeding ticket or traffic violation. My insurance is $800+ a year for liability on the truck in my sig. I didn't think that was too bad but there are some on here that seem to be getting much lower rates.

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
I pay $430 for 6 months full coverage on the truck in my signature with nationwide. It took forever to get that low, but at one point I was paying $250 a month for just liability!!!

I have had insurance with the general, and for just liability on my old 91 4wd diesel it was $55 a month.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I would recommend looking into State Farm. When I was 17, I managed to get a few discounts that saved me about 30% all together.
1) Good student discount (honor roll or better)
2) Driver's Education (not like I need it, but it gave a majority of the discount)
3) Driver review (basically gave me a movie to watch featuring horrific accidents and I had to write about it).

Note that was under my parents who had been with State farm for several years with their own vehicles and our house. Only $329 every 6 months for liability with the truck in my signature. I am now 21, still holding a clean driving record and pay $294 every 6 months.

One odd thing I might mention is when I had a 99' PSD quoted for me recently, it was gonna be $255 for liability only every 6 months. :dunno No idea what is up with that, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the old girl...

EDIT: Those of you shocked at what the younger guys pay, that is because your rates drop off after you turn 25. Or so I have been told...

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind paying $1100 a year considering i know my record is trash at the moment. But im hoping i can get a better price.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
EDIT: Those of you shocked at what the younger guys pay, that is because your rates drop off after you turn 25. Or so I have been told...

Don't count on that. Mine didn't go down when I hit 25. When I asked about it I was told it was 29 not 25. Then I was told that age didn't factor in.
I think it only works when it's in their favor!:dunno
Anyway, I'm paying a little less than you at $245 for six months and I just turned 35.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up in the great white north of British Columbia Canada I pay &180 a month, this includes basic coverage, collision and $2,000,000 of liability coverage.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly you guys just need to get married:rotflmao.
My insurance dropped like a rock when I did that. I now pay $100.90 for 6 months of liability on my truck.

m8094538

Reaction score
see if u can find an insurance guy that can go through a company called dairybelle. i pay 53.33 a month for liability with 5 tickets and an accident on my record. not sure if they are anywhere else but california but they offer stupid cheap rates

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Honestly you guys just need to get married:rotflmao.
My insurance dropped like a rock when I did that. I now pay $100.90 for 6 months of liability on my truck.

Take it from me (or my ex-wife, we probably would agree on this, which is so rare), this is the worst advice I've ever read on this site.

Regards,

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK here are some nuggets from an Insurance porfessional.

1. First you can't compare prices across state lines. Each city is rated by it's own risks and insurance laws let alone each state. NC is a "bureau" state, MI is a "no fault" OH has very strange subrogation laws etc

2. You can't compare insurance person to person very easily even in the same sate. Credit is a factor in many insurance prices, as is marraige or multi-vehicle discounts. Home ownership status let alone discounts for having home and auto insurance with the same company.

3. Discount, discount, discount means crap, crap, crap. Discounts are marketing ploys. People love to say that they recieve 40% off because of discounts, but if your rate with 40% off is $500/6months and my rate with no discounts at all is $400 who has the lower price?

4. Insurance comapnies are not loyal to you. Your agent might be. hopefully he/she is. but the company and the people making the claims payment decissions are NOT. It's designed that way. That is why your agent isn't your claim adjuster. The companies don't want you to know your claims adjuster. They want impartiality.

5. Your rate doesn't instantly drop when you hit 25. you have to shop for it. An agent saying age isn't a factor is probably lying to you. When you hit milestone ages (18, 21, 25,30, 40, 55, 75) you should shop your insurance. That's at the least if you want the best rate you can get.

6. It's your money. You can save a lot or you can be lazy and go to one or two people to find your insurance. As an agent i love it when someone comes to me and i can tell i am their only stop. i still give my best rates becasue that's my long term business plan, but not everyone is as focused on the long term. In the end how you shop determins how good of a rate you will get.

if i think of anything else i'll drop it in.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, WrickM. You are absolutely right, I even asked my mother (independent agent as well) and she confirmed it. The discounts and various things I mentioned were only in our area. One interesting detail I also learned, windshield rock chip repairs are limited to 5 because I live in a farming area. Learn something new everyday!

Also, my 3 year anniversary is coming up and I'm still paying the same rate. LOL We will see what my rate is when I make my move from South Dakota to Vancouver, BC in the next year.

-Dave

gandalf

Reaction score
The difference in rates is absolutely amazing. There are so many variables it's hard to keep track of everything.

I think I've got about everyone beat on price, or certainly close enough that I'm not going to worry. When you throw in service, I think I'll win hands down. I've had all my auto insurance with USAA since 1970, as well as homeowners since 1975. I'm currently insuring five vehicles.

My truck, 1992 F-350 crewcab dually, costs $139 every six months. That price includes liability, property damage, uninsured motorists, comprehensive and collision. To top it off, they send me a check every year, dividing up the profits. ;Sweet I think you can understand why I've been with USAA for forty years.

It's been years since I've had a ticket. But it's been only one year, last Thanksgiving, since I totaled my daughter's car. That accident was determined, by CHP, to be 100% the other driver's fault.

So, when all is said and done, I'll stick with USAA for the time being. ;Sweet

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
state farm, between the gmc(full coverage, 500 deductable) and my ford(liability only) i am paying 180 a month. the gmc is the high one, my ford is only about 45 a month for the liability. i am 24 with clean record for the past 4 years.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of speeding tickets, I'm 21 , and mine is $40/month through Progressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online