Attn: Icanfixall

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the turbo off of the engine today from the wrecking yard. On the air box it did say "Ford", not "ATS". It also had "Turbo Diesel" on each fender above and rear of the wheel well like Fords did in that year. I would bet that it is surely a factory turbo motor. The only number I could find near the water temp sensing unit was - 0216W. Hope that helps. It's at Stayton Auto Wreckers about 12 miles east of Salem OR. Ph # 503-769-3525 or 800-699-6682. Owner's name is Dennis. Good people to deal with. He even pulled the motor for me to make it easy for me to get the turbo off. Real good people. Good luck.. P.S. Rod made a hole in the oil pan.... Al

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a factory turbo engine for sure. Most likely the engine dropped a valve or the engine cavitated. I vote for a dropped valve. Nice find on the factory ATS turbo.... all you need is a "real" ats downpipe from here www.jhdiesel.com and you will have a slick turbo diesel motor yourself

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a factory turbo engine for sure. Most likely the engine dropped a valve or the engine cavitated. I vote for a dropped valve. Nice find on the factory ATS turbo.... all you need is a "real" ats downpipe from here www.jhdiesel.com and you will have a slick turbo diesel motor yourself
Thank you for the link. It says they offer: " Turbine Housing, Outlet Housing, and Down pipe w/bracket ". Do I need all of that or just the "downpipe". Thanks, Al

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's an alternative.
IF you don't want to spend for the ATS outlet and downpipe AND you have a factory turbo, Banks does have a few downpipes left gathering dust in their warehouse. You won't get the larger outlet opening but its a little cheaper than the ATS kit. Oh yea, you might not find the pipe on the Banks website, you will need to call them and talk to a salesperson about it.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's an alternative.
IF you don't want to spend for the ATS outlet and downpipe AND you have a factory turbo, Banks does have a few downpipes left gathering dust in their warehouse. You won't get the larger outlet opening but its a little cheaper than the ATS kit. Oh yea, you might not find the pipe on the Banks website, you will need to call them and talk to a salesperson about it.

Thanks for the tip. I'm just wondering how much of a difference a Turbine Housing and Outlet Housing would make on the horsepower as opposed to just a plain downpipe. What do think?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hiwayman, I think that going to the 3 inch downpipe will help more that the turbine hsg for the money. I have one of each housing in my hand and no the ford outlet isnt that big but the pipe is a pos. I am going to bend up some 3 inch downpipes to weld the stock flange on if you want to go that route.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hiwayman, I think that going to the 3 inch downpipe will help more that the turbine hsg for the money. I have one of each housing in my hand and no the ford outlet isnt that big but the pipe is a pos. I am going to bend up some 3 inch downpipes to weld the stock flange on if you want to go that route.

OK.. But what about the larger turbo housing with a larger outlet elbow AND the 3" downpipe?

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I am going to bend up some 3 inch downpipes to weld the stock flange on if you want to go that route"

That's a possibility....

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey Russ, I could use one also. Let me know when you get them done.

Jim

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man...I'd also pay you for one if you think you'll have it done anytime soon. I'm finding that these should also work for my non gated system....based on what I read here. I'm not all that confident of ATS customer support from what I'm reading.... Thanks, and LMK

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will get the sample pipe to the exhaust shop tomorrow. Do you all have the ability to cut the flange off and weld it on?? I am going to put the bracket on the DP also so it will look just like the ats one. The top of the pipe will need to be trimmed to length because I dont have a mock up engine here to do it plug and play.

They wont be mandrel bends but the bends are so slight it will be a big improvement over the stock built in restrictor:puke:
It seems like all the aftermarket wants to do is support the new fast moving high profit stuff, I understand this but I dont like it. Oh well

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ, why would I need to cut a flange off and weld it on? Isn't the ATS downpipe(and I presume your version as well) just a slipjoint that goes into the turbo housing and then a plain pipe that bolts to the exhaust on the other end?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have the housing that takes the 3 inch it will slip in, if you have the ford housing and want to get rid of the flat pipe, then a flange weld is in order. I dont know if the nongated ats uses the same downtube or not??

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's an alternative.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to look in to that.. But, I'm still wondering if it would make a big difference to put the ATS outlet and downpipe on.. Russ said the factory Ford outlet diameter was pretty small. I'm still wondering about the performance difference. Thanks again... Al

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have them both off I will take some pics tomorrow.