ATS Turbo Install

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
So I'm puttin my "new to me" turbo on that I picked up off of ebay... the instructions tell me:

8. Remove the anti-depression valve from the rear of the intake manifold. Install the grommet (item #20) into the valley pan where the anti-depression valve was removed.
The grommet is supplied in kit.

Guess what the grommet wasn't supplied in my kit, any advice?

Here's a link to the diagram https://www.atsdiesel.com/PDF/7.3-WG-Ford-Turbo-System-Layout-sm-A1.pdf

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your local Stealership will have new grommets. It's the same one that is used for the breather you remove. As I recall, less than $5 from Ferd.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also get it from ATS. I'd look through the parts list very carefully and look through all the parts you have with your turbo. Anything that is missing, get it before you start your install. Otherwise, the install can be a PITA.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to get your turbo installed anytime this year, you would be well advised to avoid dealing with ATS and get any parts you need elsewhere. ATS is famous for promising they have things in stock when they take your money, then feeding stories and being rude for weeks or months on end to string folks along until they finally have enough orders for something to actually make a run of the things

plowboy444

Reaction score
Hmn, I ordered said grommet from ATS three weeks ago and he said it would ship the next day, still hasn't come yet.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hmn, I ordered said grommet from ATS three weeks ago and he said it would ship the next day, still hasn't come yet.

Don't hold your breath . When I ordered a downpipe it took the better part of a couple of months, that was after being lied to numerous times, which I have since found is standard operating procedure around there :backoff
If you haven't seen your grommet in 3 weeks, cancel the order and get it somewhere else., like someone here on teh site ;Sweet .whatever you do don't order from a place that gets their stuff drop shipped from ATS
When I ordered my downpipe it was throug a reputable place that drop ships from ATS, and they called ATS while I was on the phone and they were told it would ship that day. After a couple of weeks no pipe, I start checking ATS tries to tell me they hadn't been paid, the place I ordered from provides me proof that they had immidiately paid ATS right after I paid them, then they just kept coming up with one lie after another as to why I didn't have a pipe, finally appeared with no apologies or anything. If I ever come into a substantial sum of money I'm going to take this ATS junk out and take a sledge hammer to it and put in a Hypermax.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a non wastegated kit or the newer 093 or factory turbo. I think the old non wastegated ones use a stock CDR grommet and the 093 and factory turbo kit use a special one.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I called ATS, they told me they did not stock ANYTHING for my kit, it is a wastegated one and type4 said he has the grommet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good information to know. I'll not be buying any used ATS turbo kits in the furture. If they don't stock parts, and something (like in your case) is missing and it is critical...... the kit is useless. Bad on ATS. Banks, has parts for their wastegated kit and I had to get several for my used Banks turbo for the crew cab. Otherwise, I'd be dead in the water.

Heath

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fortunate thing is that there isn't much on an ATS kit that is proprietary to them other than the hard cast iron components. If you break one of those on any of these older turbo kits with the possible exception of the Banks or Hypermax you're probably screwed or in for a crash course in some heavy duty fabrication and redneck engineering.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
i re-used the old one after i trimed it and added a bit of permatex

The fortunate thing is that there isn't much on an ATS kit that is proprietary to them other than the hard cast iron components. If you break one of those on any of these older turbo kits with the possible exception of the Banks or Hypermax you're probably screwed or in for a crash course in some heavy duty fabrication and redneck engineering.

I figure one of these options will always prevail:rotflmao:rotflmao