ATS 088 or 093?

Albert3223

Reaction score
OK I have been reading a lot of good info from you guys!!! Now I have a question I could use some help with. I'm getting ready to pull my truck off the road and do a total rebuild. I have a 92 crew cab 4wd zf5 355 gear I'm currently running an ATS 088 turbo. I'm going to do a full rebuild, sleeving the block, better cam, head studs and main studs. I'm also planning on installing an intercooler. Here is my question, I would like to be high teens to twenty pounds of boost when all said and done. Now that being said I also can get an factor turbo. So can I mod my 088 to achieve this or am I farther ahead to get the factory turbo and mod that one?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory. That is a hard number to achieve with an 088. If you find a factory setup , I can do some mods to it that really make it perform. And we might be able to part trade for the 088.

Albert3223

Reaction score
OK, that's what I figured. I have also read about guys putting a 60-1 wheel and housing on there 088. If my deal for a factory turbo falls through is there any gains doing that?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes there is and that is my compressor mod, makes boost start building at lower speed all other things being equal.

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes there is and that is my compressor mod, makes boost start building at lower speed all other things being equal.

Do you ever sell the parts to do that mod on an 093? I'm after some more boost at lower speed but right now your turbo is out of my budget. I'm not trying to say that your price is unfair, money is just tight on my end ;Sweet

I've already got a modified 3" outlet on my 093, really interested in an aftermarket turbine housing or compressor wheel without knowing a whole lot about the intricies of turbo performance

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you ever sell the parts to do that mod on an 093? I'm after some more boost at lower speed but right now your turbo is out of my budget. I'm not trying to say that your price is unfair, money is just tight on my end ;Sweet

I've already got a modified 3" outlet on my 093, really interested in an aftermarket turbine housing or compressor wheel without knowing a whole lot about the intricies of turbo performance

No. Too many error possibilities. Every, and I mean every time I sell turbo internals, it gets screwed up and I get the wrath, so not doing it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the price this man rebuilds turbos for is about the best deal ive found.

downside: you have to send him your core, as he dont stock these for us.
if you want that service youre going to pay for it through other sources.

upside: i bought a core that was, for a lack of a better term, ******.
he worked his magic on it and brought it back to life!

another upside: i was able to purchase from him, the new up pipe castings, turbo pedestal, and oil feed lines to complete #2 kit

rebuilding these things are an art form.
i have a few decades of wrenching under my belt.
the possibilities of doing this wrong for myself and the potential of destroying the engine, was well worth Russ's expertise.

soon ill be able to run this damn thing LOL

Last edited:

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbos are pretty simple up until it comes to balancing them or mods/machining. I'd rebuild a CHRA but that's as far I'd take it. But unfortunately for me, I have this itch to make things better if its getting rebuilt, so Russ will be the one I'll go to when that time comes. Just gotta find the time to allow downtime for my truck. I still kick myself in the ass, hard, for not grabbing the 088 system I found in the junkyard last year...