ats 085 turbo kit performance???

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found a complete ats 085 turbo kit for $400 and i was just wondering how this kit compared to the other kits out there and what kind of boost numbers you guys have been seeing, im putting it on a completely stock 1990 7.3 thats my daily driver / tow rig for my pulling truck. ive never ran an older ats turbo setup so im wondering if ill be happy with it or if i should spend a bit more money and buy a different kit.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Not sure on performance.. Friend of mine has one on his 86 6.9 and it seems pretty comparable to my 088. I like that it doesn't have the Dr. Suess casting/slip joint nightmare like mine. I'd run it ;Sweet

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
what kind of boost numbers are you seeing?

Mine might hit 10psi if I'm working it hard usually around 7psi. My friends 085 is pretty much the same last I talked to him.. Both only have 3" exhaust, pumps with questionable timing and the stock intake/filter housing.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this on mine. I love it. I have the wastegate set at 11 psi and can get there no problem.

At least I think mine's an 085. It has the full 3" round exhaust housing and downpipe. The airbox (which I sold) said ATS on it, not Ford. Someone should tell me once and for all which one I have....:sly

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah well I was told by someone on FTE when I bought the kit that it was an 085 turbo with an 093 airbox...?? Don't really care as I built my own intake setup anyway... all I know is it is wastegated and I love the difference it made on my truck!!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah well I was told by someone on FTE when I bought the kit that it was an 085 turbo with an 093 airbox...?? Don't really care as I built my own intake setup anyway... all I know is it is wastegated and I love the difference it made on my truck!!!

If it has a waste gate it's NOT a 085 or 088 ....

NUFF Said...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
093 is the wastegated turbo no matter what some seller tells you. Remember a seller is selling something. Many of them talk with a forked tongue.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks Al and Gary. I was waiting for those that know to chime in. Would you say the 093 is the best one?

To the OP: my hijack over.

Black dawg

Reaction score
THe 085 kits that I have seen/used dont fit the zf very easily. I have that kit on my truck, and see 12 psi with an intercooler and maxed pump. Boost before I added the intercooler was 15 plus.