ARP stud install and engine tear down

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm sure that it's easy to do. I've done dozens if not hundreds, so it seems like a given to me, but I also understand that not everyone has done this as many times. Don't beat yourself up too hard.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that it's easy to do. I've done dozens if not hundreds, so it seems like a given to me, but I also understand that not everyone has done this as many times. Don't beat yourself up too hard.
Ya, this is my first so I’m learning as I go

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got a couple questions. Number 1-After I pulled the exhaust manifold bolts and all head bolts were lose I had water leaking. Is this normal?
Number 2- I got every head bolt out but one. It is extremely tight even after turning it all the way out. It will not come out of the head. I even dropped another head bolt back in to a hole next to it and the one I dropped in went down further without threading in which tells me the one that is stuck must be threaded out of the block but I don’t know. Any advice?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No. 1: that's normal. You can't get 100% of the coolant drained out of the heads.
No. 2: by the way you explain it, I'll guess that there's some rust in the bolt hole. I've seen it before. I'm guessing that some "powdered" rust in the threads and it's what made the bolt hard to turn out and what's holding the bolt up a little bit higher in the hole. You will have to get it all cleaned out before you try to install a stud in the hole.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. 1: that's normal. You can't get 100% of the coolant drained out of the heads.
No. 2: by the way you explain it, I'll guess that there's some rust in the bolt hole. I've seen it before. I'm guessing that some "powdered" rust in the threads and it's what made the bolt hard to turn out and what's holding the bolt up a little bit higher in the hole. You will have to get it all cleaned out before you try to install a stud in the hole.
Ok thanks, I just can’t believe it’s so hard to turn.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've removed them with an impact wrench and it had to hammer hard all of the way out. That's why I'm suspecting rust.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it clears the block, I'd just leave it in the head until you get it off the engine and sitting on a bench or something similar. Then you could use a hammer and punch to work it back and forth in the hole until it comes out.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got driver’s side head off. Here is what it looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach