Are these rusty rotors ok?

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. I’ll try and see if I can get the bolts out and if not, I’ll rent a uhaul and see what a shop with a welder would charge me. I just hope they won’t quote me what they did on my dodge! ($800 just in labor!) I ordered the rotors 3 weeks ago from Bronco graveyard but they’re still backordered so I may have to cancel them and try another company. I do got to say, I love Ford’s calipers on these though!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about minor pitting that doesn't compromise their strength. I would probably slap some old pads on there to rub the rust off as I drove. They're not magic, they're just hunks of solid steel. Unless they are so warped that they pulse excessively, or so thin that they're going to break when you brake, what's to worry about?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would probably slap some old pads on there to rub the rust off as I drove.

I'm sorry, I understand everyone worrying about safety but fact is, I've done this many times. It's not the right way, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. You're planning on fixing it right, as a temporary solution I'd just run it.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I don't make extra work for myself. Run what's there and monitor it for the first few days or weeks of driving. You might lose a a 32nd or two of pad right away to 'self-cleaning' the rotor.

EDIT: I actually don't care much for the 80-94 calipers. I will probably go this route when I build my 60 with Ford outers. https://torqmotorsports.com/product/gm-dana-60-kingpin-big-brake-brackets/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online