Are these rusty rotors ok?

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m swapping my Dana 60 off a parts truck over to my 2wd project truck. I’m going ahead and getting new calipers and pads but not sure if I will even be able to remove these rotors. There is almost no wear on them so I’m guessing they were still new when the truck was parked. Do y’all think these rotors will still be fine to use or should I prepare to fight them off?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Imho I would at least take a wire wheel to them. If I had a few bucks I could spare I would soak everything down with your favorite penetrating spray and go back out tomorrow and fight them off and have them resurfaced. Have been known wen funds are low to put the frame on blocks and leave it in a low gear and let the roter spin as I hold a scotch Brite pad to it. Lol

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t notice any pitting so I think I’ll just use a wire brush on it. Right now time is the most valuable resource as we don’t currently have a running vehicle so I need to get this project on the the road!

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
Uh, rotors are $25/ea from Rockauto. You crash the truck because you tried to "save" some cash you're out a lot more than $50. Brakes and tires are the most important things on your truck. Not a great place to cheap out IMHO.

Nick

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Nick on not cheaping out on tires and brakes. Your life is worth much more than a few dollars for new brakes.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money is not my biggest concern right now, I work 14 hour days 6 days a week right now and don’t have much time to work on this and we don’t have a running vehicle. I’m just thinking fighting them off will take a huge chunk of my time. I still have to intstall the motor, clutch, transmission, fuel tanks, brakes, axle seals, tires, and axle bearings to get this drivable so time is the most costly resource right now. I can always go back and replace the rotors after I get us a second vehicle with the income tax return next year but need to get this driving ASAP so I’m not relying on co-workers and family to get me to work, church, grocery shopping, and auto parts store each time.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m already going With all new calipers and pads and rebuilding the drums so I’m hoping cleaning up the rotors will get them usable for now as the bolts are completely rusted out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If the bolts are so rusted you can't get a socket on them, I wouldn't trust it going down the road.
Leave your truck the way it is, until you get the axle rebuilt, then swap it in.
I thought you were trying to get a roller, not a DD.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
I would then suggest that you at least have those rotors turned while you are replacing seals and repacking the bearings (most places will want the rotors on the hubs for turning; the rotor will run truer that way). It is certainly faster to drop them off and then pick them up vs. spending hours with a grinder and turning will do a better job.

But give the bolts a try first, they might surprise you. Worst case, weld a nut to each bolt to remove.

Nick

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seals and bearings are on the rear axle. I wont be rebuilding this front axle until early Spring. I guess I was trying to ask if the rotors will be ok just being polished until then. I think the bolts are fine but worried about them being seized and snapping a head off like I did on my dodge as I have very limited time to work on it right now.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but what this entire thread is....

“Never enough time or money to do it right, but always enough time or money to do it twice”

I agree with others, take them and have them turned, or replace them. I may rig things to get something to run so I can get to work. But, if it brakes or tires, it gets parked until I can fix it right. Last thing I want to do is drive through a car loaded with a family because I half-assed the brakes.

I understand your time crunch, but it’s not worth killing someone because you didn’t want to spend a couple hours working on the brakes.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.