are factory turbo headgaskets different?

giezy

Reaction score
was napa today and the parts guy said there are two different gaskets one for N\A and one for the factory turbo.

would it bee a upgraded gasket? I have a banks set up on it so it would be a N\A truck to start

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
according to my IDI turbo PDF manual, yes there is a difference........."the head gasket on the 7.3L IDI Turbocharged Diesel Engine has a heavier fire ring and armor wrap to withstand higher firing pressures and combustion temperature. the turbocharged head gasket can be identified be the notch in the gasket on the bottom (exhaust manifold) side"

giezy

Reaction score
so they would be a upgrade these are victor gaskets any problems with them? and is the intake\lifter valley tray reusable or do I need a new one?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you will need a new intake manifold gasket/valley pan.

i don't know how much of an upgrade they would be but i don't see them hurting anything so........you will be good with VR gaskets.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Victor Reinz is the gasket many here like. As for an "upgraded turbo" heasd gasket... Thats a new one on me... Never have seen anyone here talk of it. Now as for the oem head gaskets being abble to handle the extra heat and boost from a turbo.. No problem. I went well over 350,000 miles on me passenger side head gasket in my 89 7.3 idi. I cavitated on number 8 drivers side and when the engine was out I told the shop to replace the passenger side head gasket... They would not do it.. Gees... I'm spending the money and your supposed to do as I want when I'm paying... Well they didn't do what I wanted so I drove thet engine another 225,000 miles and the head gasket. So can they handle the boost and heat of pulling heavy... Sure they can. Some will fail with less heat and work that I asked of my engine too. But is that a norn.. Not really. Can we actually buy a non turbo head gasket... I will look into that too. I'm interested in what I may find... Thanks for the tip too about the head gaskets...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is only one gasket now, your parts guy will give you ps gaskets if you tell him 94 turbo.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had checked with ford about a month ago and they were still available through them. I can see if I have the part number yet if someone needs it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Probably whats happening is the stocking item will only be the turbo head gasket from now on. Its a simalar thing just like the oil coolers were some time back. you could get a turbo or non turbo oil cooler. Now all we can buy is the turbo oil cooler with more cooling fins. It wont hurt a non turbo engine so why keep two dofferant coolers in inventory. Streamlining the parts is a funny way of helping us keep these engines on the roads.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Probably whats happening is the stocking item will only be the turbo head gasket from now on. Its a simalar thing just like the oil coolers were some time back. you could get a turbo or non turbo oil cooler. Now all we can buy is the turbo oil cooler with more cooling fins. It wont hurt a non turbo engine so why keep two dofferant coolers in inventory. Streamlining the parts is a funny way of helping us keep these engines on the roads.

Same thing with the valley pan gaskets Those are all the turbo style now, have been for a while. ( so anyone plopping a fresh turbo kit on a recently built engine, theres no need to punch holes in the valley pan, they are already speced for the factory turbo )

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just relooked up the part number in my ford parts catalog:D (just bought it over thanksgiving at a swap meet)

Ford part number for IDI turbo upper gasket set: F4TZ-6079-A
International part number for IDI turbo upper set: 1821311C91
International part number is from a quick referance guide Heath had posted at one time.

turbo head gaskets are now only availible in the upper (valve grind) gasket set. You cannot buy just the head gaskets. I also checked the part number for the gasket set on fordparts.com and it shows it is still availible at a pretty high price though. I believe the gasket set also comes with a valley pan gasket if I recall correctly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The injection pump must be removed to do the heads as posted above. If you are concerned about the pump timing do this before you remove the pump. Take a center punch and place a mark in the joint between the pump case and the gear housing that the pump connects to. Then when it goes back together all you do is match up the two half circles of the center punch mark. Timing will then stay the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online