Anyone using Hydro Fuel cells on their diesel?

Reece

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but are any of you using hydrogen fuel cells or combining it with burning oil? I have a 2002 7.3 and I would like to try it in combination with burning oil. I have spoken to several people in my area who are "working on it," but I get very little information from them.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i want to do...
i have read from alot of people on other forums that say hydrogen is great and all of them seem to get about 15-25% mpg increase.
i have been reading about these hydrogen generators for sometime now and i can tell you that not all generators are created equal (do alot of research)

i can also tell you that the main reason hydrogen generators increase mpg is because of the way it "helps" diesel burn more efficiently. thus less smoke

combine the less smoke aspect of hydrogen with the cheap aspect of wmo at 50/50 diesel and you get a 25mpg oil burnin machine that cost half as much to fill up (50%diesel/50%wmo)

do not turn on the hydrogen generator until the engine is warm--the air heaters in the intake could ignight the Hydrogen. the HHO is injected into the filter box upstream of the heaters. if you have glowplugs though, i dont see a problem-with glowplugs the hydrogen would probably help with the cold, rough idle that glow engines have.

p.s. the lingo for what you are talkin about is "hydrogen generator" "hydrogen fuel cell" usually refers to the act of makin electricity through the use of hydrogen.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
again

Who's first?

coach?

Sun?

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Not a flame
Just my opinion.

now if we were talking about regenerative braking............
no? I didn't think so

LCjeff

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a very big difference between improving the combustion efficiency of a diesel by adding a proper amount of hydrogen, and trying to run the diesel on 100% hydrogen produced by a hydrogen generator driven by the same diesel engine. Improving combustion efficiency is scientifically possible and has been done by many universties, for example http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=I3kueRyzvlY . However, trying to run any engine on 100% hydrogen from a hydrogen generator driven by the same engine is impossible.;Sweet
Jim

Reece

Reaction score
thats what i want to do...
i have read from alot of people on other forums that say hydrogen is great and all of them seem to get about 15-25% mpg increase.
i have been reading about these hydrogen generators for sometime now and i can tell you that not all generators are created equal (do alot of research)

i can also tell you that the main reason hydrogen generators increase mpg is because of the way it "helps" diesel burn more efficiently. thus less smoke

combine the less smoke aspect of hydrogen with the cheap aspect of wmo at 50/50 diesel and you get a 25mpg oil burnin machine that cost half as much to fill up (50%diesel/50%wmo)

do not turn on the hydrogen generator until the engine is warm--the air heaters in the intake could ignight the Hydrogen. the HHO is injected into the filter box upstream of the heaters. if you have glowplugs though, i dont see a problem-with glowplugs the hydrogen would probably help with the cold, rough idle that glow engines have.

p.s. the lingo for what you are talkin about is "hydrogen generator" "hydrogen fuel cell" usually refers to the act of makin electricity through the use of hydrogen.

Where do you find more info?
You said that not all generators are created equal. Which ones do you recomend.
Do you have to alter the fuel flow with the hydrogen system or will the fuel system adjust fuel flow on its on?

Sorry about such basic questions but I have been looking on line and have had little results.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reece--google hydrogen generators forum - the generators that you dont want are the ones that have each plate electricaly charged. these overheat the water and the hoter the water gets the less effeceint it is-the generators that have multiple plates but only the outside ones are conected to a voltage sorce are the ones your lookin for. the inside plates not connected to the voltage source are still charged.....its kinda hard to explain really but the generators we need for our trucks need to push about 3-4 liters of HHO and do it without overheating while also drawing the least amount of amps. i would really advise against a glass jar generator-they sell that crap on ebay and its kinda scary.
on a diesel you dont have to alter fuel flow. to be honest with you, im not really sure you would gain much in a gas engine-thats why i think they sell those ecu foolers inorder to run the car leaner-thus getting slightly better fuel mileage. from my understanding-the hydrogen on a diesel works so well because any time you get black smoke in a diesel (acceleration ect...) the hydrogen helps burn that excess fuel in the chamber instead of the muffler.
and also when cruising down the road 600 ft lbs of torque (the motor is not exerting that much all the time but you get the point) turning the alternator for a couple extra amps to run a hydrogen generator is less parasitic then it would be to a toyota camry. to express my point...if you do alot of night driving you will see a greater fuel loss from the camry from headlights and radio then you will from a cummins. this maybe because the cummins has more available (spare) amps to offer then the camry....i dont know but i know their is more gained from hydrogen generators then what is lost to power the generator itself-and this to me is kinda weird cause the rules of thermaldynamics basically says ---you cant get more out then you put in.
the only reasons i can think of why it works are

1. we are, putting in that much! the HHO is just helping us use it (instead of black smoke)
or
2. the alternator in a diesel has enough spare amps layin around that sending 5 or so amps to a generator is no big deal.
or
3. both 1 and 2....the more effective combustion process makes up for the extra parasitic draw of the alternator thus the HHO injected after that point helps with extra fuel for better mpg

but either way i think about it, i just cant rationalize how it would be cost effective (or opperational) on a gasser

however you go about it--you will not see much gain(if any) if you use a generator that pulls alot of amps, overheats and doesnt give off much HHO---

it works! but only if you build a generator thats efficient
im still kinda messin with my generator but when i finally get it the way i want it and get it mounted ill show you guys the finished product with instructions so you can build it.(the build instructions on the internet are either pricy or worthless or both) but right now im still building this house so give me a month or two

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brokefarmer---we are not talkin about water fueled vehicles like what that link is refering to--we are still burnin diesel-just doin it better

cars powered by water and no other form of fuel is impossible-atleast as far as current physics books are concerned (with todays technology)

leftcoastjeff--it is too good to be true, if your reading the ads that say youll get 50% increase in mpg
but like anything else, you gotta do your own thinking