Anyone put both batteries on one side?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to put a pair of group 31s on the passenger side where the stock battery goes. Has anyone tried this on a bricknose? I don't know if there's enough room there or not.

I do not want them mounted on the frame.

I might consider both sides but I'd have to drop the trays from what I've read.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sure, if you want to wreck your core support...
Move them under the cab to the frame or bed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to figure a way to mount the standard group 65 to the passenger fender area, but gave up. There is too much other **** in the way. I ended up putting the second battery in the box under my flatbed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did they last?

I've never seen redtops last longer than a year under real use. I'm sure they are out there, and the size sure helps with this issue, just never found them even slightly reliable

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Funny about Optimas. The quality has to have dropped dramatically. I took over a fleet of garbage trucks that included 2007 Peterbilts that were ordered with Optima yellow tops. In 2014 they were just starting to fail. I have a pair in my tractor that are still going.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny about Optimas. The quality has to have dropped dramatically. I took over a fleet of garbage trucks that included 2007 Peterbilts that were ordered with Optima yellow tops. In 2014 they were just starting to fail. I have a pair in my tractor that are still going.

I have heard that about the Optima batteries. They're not near what they used to be.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back around 2010 I ran a single optima red top in my truck year round. It was used when i got it and i still got a couple years out of it. Had a couple close calls in the winter time but i never was left stranded.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely things have changed then. When I was working at an optima dealer, half of the batteries on the shelf were already dead, and the other half came back in 6 months. That's with proper charging/maintenance.

As all things go, I would imagine some cost cutting took place at the expense if what may have been a great product...

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 3rd battery in the outside of the frame in front of the driver side rear tire
you can't even tell it's there
unless you do serious off roading it's a good place

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on running two Group 31s and a couple more deep cycle batteries in a truck tool box. It's not a hard setup to do, I've done it before. I used a breaker, ran the power cable along the frame to the starter and alternator.

I've done one I used a BMW 3 series power distribution block, ran a large gauge cable to it, and distributed power to the solenoid, starter, fuse box, etc... Reason I ran them this way was a bit easier to jump off people, and had a good inverter in the box for all my power tools.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did they last?

I've never seen redtops last longer than a year under real use. I'm sure they are out there, and the size sure helps with this issue, just never found them even slightly reliable

I had 7 of them go bad within 3 years. I'll never buy another one. When my job upgraded I upgraded batteries in everything. They may take abuse well for race or off road applications but they absolutely don't last. I had a yellow top in one of my trucks and it did the same...

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 7 of them go bad within 3 years. I'll never buy another one. When my job upgraded I upgraded batteries in everything. They may take abuse well for race or off road applications but they absolutely don't last. I had a yellow top in one of my trucks and it did the same...
Johnson Controls (mega sized battery company) bought out Optima Batteries... and then moved production from the US to Mexico. Not surprisingly the complaints about short life started soon after...

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online