Anyone install a power inverter in their truck?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I told my wife i would like a nice power inverter to install in the truck, because i dont like using the ashtray port for numerous reasons. I want one that has ac plugs as well as a dc outlet. anyone have one of these? and how/where did you mount it?

Im not looking to buy a $300 inverter here. Just something to have to charge small items and such when i need it.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
In my old Sonoma i screwed it to the back wall... :D

I have a 750W inverter that i'd like to mount in my truck... Be nice to hear some ideas for a single cab...

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my old Sonoma i screwed it to the back wall... :D

I have a 750W inverter that i'd like to mount in my truck... Be nice to hear some ideas for a single cab...

Yea, mine is a super cab, but that has nothing to do with where i want to mount it

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak for anyone else, I however plan on 3000 Watt:eek: inverter in the truck and subsequently plan on BIG power coming into the cab. However I do that anyway for radios:eek:

The plan is to simply feed it along with the Audio amplifiers off the same buss. Nice simple and clean.

JM2CW but using some decent car audio power wire;Sweet into the cabin is what I would suggest for your plan.

Al

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak for anyone else, I however plan on 3000 Watt:eek: inverter in the truck and subsequently plan on BIG power coming into the cab. However I do that anyway for radios:eek:

The plan is to simply feed it along with the Audio amplifiers off the same buss. Nice simple and clean.

JM2CW but using some decent car audio power wire;Sweet into the cabin is what I would suggest for your plan.

Al

yea, i dont want/need to go for huge power. my alternator can't handle it, nor can my non-deep cycle battery.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
i have a 3000w inverter behind the passenger side of the seat in my 150, i use it to power my truck camper when im driving or resting at a truck stop. i used the starter lug for positive connection and grounded it right to the frame. i love it, and it works great. if i get a chance ill try and snap some pics. the weathers not being cooperative.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could find a place under the hood, you would not have to run so much large wiring from the battery. Even the small inverters suck a lot of power from the 12v side. The 12v wiring needs to be huge on the bigger ones. But the 110v side can be much smaller wiring.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do NOT mount under the hood as these inverters with a load will get hot and if they are under the hood they will most likely either quit on ya or melt down. If you are looking to charge a laptop or cell phone kinda thing I would just go with a "pure sine wave" 300W inverter, that will be plenty. Use 8 ga. wire or bigger if you can and mount it either hangin off the bottom of the dash or maybe under the seat. Run the positive to the battery and the negative to a solid ground elsewhere. Should be good to go!!

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power Inverter

I told my wife i would like a nice power inverter to install in the truck, because i dont like using the ashtray port for numerous reasons. I want one that has ac plugs as well as a dc outlet. anyone have one of these? and how/where did you mount it?

Im not looking to buy a $300 inverter here. Just something to have to charge small items and such when i need it.

I bought a PowerBright XR-750-12 from Costco for $45.00 about 3 years ago. It is 750 watt continuous and 1500 watt surge with soft start technology. I mounted it has 2 ac outlets. I mounted it on the passenger side forward of the door just below the glovebox so wifey could plug in while going down the road so she could watch movies on her portable dvd player.

Also use it to keep cellophone, laptop pc, and Tom Tom GPS charged up. I also use it to run my small drills, pancake air compressor etc...you get the idea. I learned to always go with a little more power than you think you need.
As for wiring...I used 8 gauge stranded thru the firewall straight to the passenger side battery.

Never had a lick of probs with it. It has more than paid for itself and really wouldn't want to be without it..
Anyway...that's my set-up...hope it gives you some ideas...

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a PowerBright XR-750-12 from Costco for $45.00 about 3 years ago. It is 750 watt continuous and 1500 watt surge with soft start technology. I mounted it has 2 ac outlets. I mounted it on the passenger side forward of the door just below the glovebox so wifey could plug in while going down the road so she could watch movies on her portable dvd player.

Also use it to keep cellophone, laptop pc, and Tom Tom GPS charged up. I also use it to run my small drills, pancake air compressor etc...you get the idea. I learned to always go with a little more power than you think you need.
As for wiring...I used 8 gauge stranded thru the firewall straight to the passenger side battery.

Never had a lick of probs with it. It has more than paid for itself and really wouldn't want to be without it..
Anyway...that's my set-up...hope it gives you some ideas...

Do you have a pic of that setup? That unit seems to have the outlets in an odd area. Also, im assuming you charge the gps through the usb? I wish i could find a unit with ac and dc outlets. Both are useful to me

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did as Al had said its on it's own buss inline with the subs an amps. Works really well no problems. Also running true 4g wire. I have a snap on inverter an it's almost 3,000 continuous. Has two plugs an a great war. I can run a crock pot fan portable radio an a light or two all off of it. I mounted it to my custom rear seat/bed/tool box/ storage.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did as Al had said its on it's own buss inline with the subs an amps. Works really well no problems. Also running true 4g wire. I have a snap on inverter an it's almost 3,000 continuous. Has two plugs an a great war. I can run a crock pot fan portable radio an a light or two all off of it. I mounted it to my custom rear seat/bed/tool box/ storage.

how can you run that stuff off of your trucks batteries and alternator? that much power draw cant be good for either one of them

Edit- custom rear seat/bed/toolbox/storage??? do you have a pic of that? that sounds interesting

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wire run is short enuff you can get away with 4 Gauge wire, But 4 Gauge on a 3000 watt inverter is to small. It will get hot If you run a load for more than 5 mins. Most inverter use is for short time loads like drills and small compressor units. With a diesel truck running you can run a inverter for most any load you would need No problem at all. My inverter is a 800 watt mounted under the dash in my F150 works great.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I have one bought from Costco, has twin cooling fans and works great. Mounted behind my rear seat, connected directly to the battery. I extended the wiring for the internal on off switch using some 16 gauge wire and mounted the switch under the dash.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how can you run that stuff off of your trucks batteries and alternator? that much power draw cant be good for either one of them

Edit- custom rear seat/bed/toolbox/storage??? do you have a pic of that? that sounds interesting

I second that. With the 6.9 trucks putting out what, just a touch over or at 100amps threw the alternator, isnt it pushing that a little hard? Has anyone gone out and went with a large amperage alternator for the trucks, like in the 180+ range?