Anyone install a power inverter in their truck?

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one in my personal and work vehicles. They are mounted in the consoles.
As for an OBS truck, I installed a super-duty center console and mounted to the bottom of the console.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, I just got rid of a 160 3g alternator a few years ago to :( for cheap.

I wonder if they have a 200amp or 180 amp ones floating around. That would power a whole lot on our trucks.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 130 amp 3G in my truck. They are super easy to install and everyone with a 1G/2G should do it... :)

I second this. My 89 had the ****** old style with an externa regulator and bunch of nasty wiring. 3g got rid of all that and since I'm running a winch it'll help there as well. It's one of the first things I do to my trucks. Altho my 95 F150 have with the smaller 3g and my 93 7.3idi came with 130ampg from the factory.

The newer diesel have an option for a large capacity alternator, i think it was over 200 or 250 amps or two 130amp alternators. I'm thinking about adding a second and a 2500 watt inverter.

As far as places to mount, I've pretty much only seen then mounted under the front or rear seat either on the floor or the actual seat frame. I myself do not like this due to water and dirt always being on my floor.

I did remeber seeing an install where a complete set-up with and extra battery or two was put into a toolbox in the bed.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I got mine from a junk yard and had it tested. Got a good 3G for only $37.50....

The parts store ones around here are $130+ for a reman, not including core.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a Triplite 550B mounted behind the seat of the Moose Truck for over 20 years. Don't let your wife run a hair dryer off of it.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bagpiperjosh I have dual interstate batteries an a 75amp alt. from oriellys then takin to a local shop an rebuilt to a 180amp. The wire is 0 gauge into truck off pass. Bat. Then to a amp fuse bus an split into 4gauge with a 100 amp fuse to it. The snap on manual said that's all that was needed an I checked with my stereo guy an said its plenty. True 4g is thick. Also run the gator back belts by Goodyear I think I get them at napa. I wanna do a 3G but pointless when everything is all new. All take a pic of the rear when it comes back from the uploster.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
One website I read said a single v belt was only good for about 90A worth of pull before it started slipping. Two was good for 160-180A. So following that line of reasoning, it would seem you would need 3 v belts to get the maximum amps out of that monster. Or maybe at least an 8-10 rib serpentine belt.

If it was me, I would put a matched pair of the widest v belts i could get on there and see what happened. I can't think of when i would ever need 270A though, so it would have to be a pretty good price for the unit.

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recycle old computer battery backups into inverters for my vehicles. I generally use the APC smart-ups line of battery backups for my computers. When I have an extra one of the 700 to 1000 volt amp units with a bad battery, it can become an inverter. Most of the APC units of this size use a single 12v battery, 2 6v batteries in series, or 2 12v batteries in parallel. I just remove the APC battery and connect to the cables inside the APC. I also remove the warning buzzer from the circuit board inside the battery backup so it doesn't beep at me for not supplying it with 110v power. This gives me a stable, clean, pure sine wave inverter for almost no cost.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recycle old computer battery backups into inverters for my vehicles. I generally use the APC smart-ups line of battery backups for my computers. When I have an extra one of the 700 to 1000 volt amp units with a bad battery, it can become an inverter. Most of the APC units of this size use a single 12v battery, 2 6v batteries in series, or 2 12v batteries in parallel. I just remove the APC battery and connect to the cables inside the APC. I also remove the warning buzzer from the circuit board inside the battery backup so it doesn't beep at me for not supplying it with 110v power. This gives me a stable, clean, pure sine wave inverter for almost no cost.

Thats a pretty nifty idea... too bad i dont have any access to any of those

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online