Anyone doing water injection on an IDI?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing this to lower my intake temps and to try to keep my injectors and chambers cleaner in light of my unashamed use of 100% WMO.

Looks like a kit can be assembled for about $200.00 - dunno much about the solenoids I'm seeing in some of the kits.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I haven't gone either way but like you i am very interested in all the options I am debating between propane injection, water methanol injection, or a combination of the 2 for different situations

tractorman86

Reaction score
i want to do it on mine, i'll be adding an intercooler shortley after i get the turbo on. w/m inj is safer than propane i think

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that Travis (argve) injected Washer Fluid on the Enterprise, and I am sure he will chime in on this when he gets a chance... I know there are added benefits of doing this, but there is also some very negative effects (hydrolock) that can happen doing this. There is a reason that he has a goat truck now..... :oops::oops:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
It works but you must not over do it. I used an rv water pump with a pressure regulator on it - sort of followed F350Camper's lead, but I increased the pressure which in turn increased the flow - which lead to way to much injected which caused me to crack the pistons.

It does not lower the EGT's it just stops them from climbing (that's what I seen), you can feel extra power when the system kicks on for pulling a hill or just blasting down the road.

How I did mine was I wired up an oil pressure switch to the intake (to read pressure off the manifold) then had it apply power to a lock off solenoid, then once I flipped the switch the lock off solenoid would open but the boost pressure would control when it came on and off after that. I did it this way so the pump would supply pressure up to under the hood then all I had to wait on was for the fluid to go from the drivers side fender to the intake hat, not all the way from the bed mounted pump. I can't remember what size nozzles I used but I got them from Rob (F350camper) and I got the lock off solenoid from McMaster Carr and all the fittings from the local hardware store - I used braided line from the hardware store as well.

Again what how much fluid you are injecting because too much and she runs great for a little while but it comes at a high price. If you were to use a lessor amount of flow than I did you might get better results (longevity) but I can't say for sure because I only did one system. I think there is an article on here about the Slash system that Rob put together or at least there used to be (article section).

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Wondering how the new ATS "Waterboy" system works, time to find out.

p.s. I love ATS telling me I can safely push up to 20psi on my engine :) I begin to pucker at 8psi

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
again use with caution and the understanding that you can make things interesting....
:eek:
coming from anyone else, that's a pretty good cautionary statement.
coming from you.....now that's downright funny:D:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
I didn't think "caution" is in your vocab....;p

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Havent hooked it up yet though... I got everything from Ebay, pump was about 60ish and I bought the nozzels and check valves for around 70. I have the line and some fittings allready.