antifreeze

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
SCA's. The 7.3 IDI's aren't the only engines susceptible to problems. The industry just started getting smarter about using SCA's when the engines started getting more sophisticated.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Special Cooling Additives. Keeps the engine from cavitating. Basically, the cylinder walls expand and contract from the compression and firing, and they do it faster than radiator coolant can keep up with it. The coolant slams back into the cylinder wall at such a rate and speed that it "eats" it's way completely through the cylinder wall eventually, and destroys the engine. All new diesels come from the factory with pre-charged coolant; the old diesels didn't because the engineers didn't know it was going to happen.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i used Zerex GO5 when i did my cooing system last fall. i got it from carquest in town. it is preloaded with the sca's and also works with alluminum which was a big deal for me since i just got a brand spankin new radiator.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Special Cooling Additives. Keeps the engine from cavitating. Basically, the cylinder walls expand and contract from the compression and firing, and they do it faster than radiator coolant can keep up with it. The coolant slams back into the cylinder wall at such a rate and speed that it "eats" it's way completely through the cylinder wall eventually, and destroys the engine. All new diesels come from the factory with pre-charged coolant; the old diesels didn't because the engineers didn't know it was going to happen.

to add to that cavitation is when a void forms between a solid and a liquid do to the solid "moving away" from the liquid at a very rapid rate. A vacuum forms and if the vacuum is strong enough the liquid slams into the solid at an explosive level. Its the opposite of the shockwave generated by a high explosive.

Now in practical terms, the 7.3 International is very prone to cavitation due to the high compression and the thin cylinder walls (compared to the 6.9). In reality all engines are prone to it. In fact a buddy of mine had a series 60 detroit cavitate.

The other place you here about cavitation is boats and propellers. when it spins fast it can push more water than it can pull in, therefore cavitating the prop. It also can happen when you are in rough waters and the prop goes into the air

rufushusky

Reaction score
What kind. Of antifreeze should I use in a 01
diesel

In a 2001 PSD you can run green (conventional meeting ASTM D4985 with the aforementioned SCA's), Gold (aka Zerex G-05 with SCAs) or ELC (coolants meeting Cat EC-1, Cummins 14609 or Navistar B-2). Any of those options regularly maintained will take great care of your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726