Another Transmission issue...

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just spent 2 hours searching but cant find anything. I just got back from a wheeling trip. On my way up of Friday, during the last 30 mins...Overdrive light started flashing and I think I lost my lock up. Rpm's were about 500 higher than normal BUT NO hard shifting like in "limp home" mode. My trans temp went from about 150 to 220 in about 15 mins. I pulled over and let it cool down.

Today, My buddy towed both our jeeps back on his trailer...so I made it home today pulling my empty trailer only having to stop once to let the trans cool down.

When I put the trans in gear, the transmission whines until I start moving...then the whine goes away. The whining occurs in reverse, d, 1, and 2. I had to take it easy today to keep the trans temp down. Good thing it was cold and pouring down rain all the way.

Od light is flashing
FILP is with in range
tach and speedometer all working
All fuses are good
no shuddering
no hard shifts
overdrive works
im not feeling any slipping

Is this just an torque converter issue? What the heck is the whining?

I will check the codes tomorrow..but was hoping for some insight.

140,000 miles. Im pretty sure no rebuilds.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a tranny shop and have them pull the codes. The OD light flashing is a tranny problem. A tranny shop will tell you whats wrong and if you do not like what they tell you you might want a second opinion, take it to another shop. In the meantime don't drive it if you don't need to because all your going to do is make it worse and it will cost you more.

If they say it needs to be rebuilt make sure you get a good warranty, not just 12 months or 12,000 miles. Jasper warranties their transmissions a lot longer.

And yes this is the same answer I just gave another person in their post who are having E4OD tranny problems

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only

Only code that she is throwing is 62. Excessive clutch slip. Im going to check the line pressure and then drop the pan. If they are ok, I will either get a new torque converter. Just wonder if I should just take the hit and buy a whole new trans with all the updates. Is the Ford remans any good? or should I look else where?

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
usually the wining is the pump or torque converter, i am willing to bet that your tc is going out.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only code that she is throwing is 62. Excessive clutch slip. Im going to check the line pressure and then drop the pan. If they are ok, I will either get a new torque converter. Just wonder if I should just take the hit and buy a whole new trans with all the updates. Is the Ford remans any good? or should I look else where?

Jasper has the rebuilds done with the upgrades, they give a great warranty also. In addition if your going to replace the torque converter you kmight as well go with a triple disc.
http://www.jasperengines.com

Check out these guys for a triple disc converter

http://tpiconverters.com/converters/diesel-towing/

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
decisions

Right now Im just trying to decide if I really want to spend any money on the 1994 trans with 140,000 miles. I dont want to replace the torque converter and then end up loosing the trans 3 months down the road and stranded .... Im sure the rest of the trans has to be close to the end of her life. I may just bite the bullet and buy an new one from Ford. Seems like most have been happy with them and they do have a decent warranty.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got codes

I agree with pulling codes, could be your MLPS also....

Um...pulled the codes...all I got was code 62...see above. :)

MLPS, should throw its own code...and shouldnt cause a problem with the torque converter.

Last edited:

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran through the pinpoint tests(cc) for clutch. Resistance of Solenoid was with in spec and no continuity. Thank you again brdmh44. Next step is to tear down to the pump and check the clutch regulator valve and control valve. But, I had already cleared the code 62 to take the trans out of high pressure mode and then checked the line pressure. It is in spec for all gears. So, am I safe to assume that the pump is ok?

Im guess im down to dropping the pan checking fluid and for metal and then removing the trans. Then I will try a new torque converter.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I ran through the pinpoint tests(cc) for clutch. Resistance of Solenoid was with in spec and no continuity. Thank you again brdmh44. Next step is to tear down to the pump and check the clutch regulator valve and control valve. But, I had already cleared the code 62 to take the trans out of high pressure mode and then checked the line pressure. It is in spec for all gears. So, am I safe to assume that the pump is ok?

Im guess im down to dropping the pan checking fluid and for metal and then removing the trans. Then I will try a new torque converter.

You have assumed correct. If the pressure is within spec the pump is good.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics of oil

Dropped the pan. No big chunks of steel. Magnet looks like a chia pet...but I think that is normal right? Only very fine material in pan and not much of it.

Attachments

• magnet e4od.jpg
    magnet e4od.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6
  • magnet e4od2.jpg
    magnet e4od2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 7

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The chia pet is normal:D. It dose seem to be a bit metallic. But it could be the photo.

No large chunks , brass, or aluminum is a good sign.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance