Another Transmission issue...

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
My chia pet magnet fro was about twice that size :eek: Infact I couldn't even figure out what it was for a minute or two. Looks like a really big piece of bloated hose at first...

Looks normal to me.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans back in

So I got the torque converter changed out with a new one and back in...whining is all gone. Truck is shifting great. Im still running a little hotter than I used to on the temp gauge. But Im still trying to get the fluid level right. Ford says 15.7 quarts dry. But im up to 18qts. I do have an additional large cooler and I guess the torque converter could be different than stock too.

One mistake I made was that I blew out the trans lines and the compressor air was at 150psi. I did feather the air but I did hit with the full 150psi a couple of times. I see now that may have been a bit much :oops:: I dont see anything leaking in the cooler or rad though??? How would I know if I blew a line?

Pic of trans:

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 10

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you blew the radiator cooler, there will be oil in the radiator in short order after starting. Leave the rad cap off before starting, coolant will rise pretty quick and overflow.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
makes sense

Hey thanks...that makes sense. Ill check it tomorrow.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no oil

Well, no oil in the coolant. So that is good. I have a b&M stack plate cooler 11x11. It says it can handle up to 200psi. So I guess the coolers are good. I hate that I cant remember my running temp before all this happened. I could have sworn it was 140-150 deg. But the last 6 months its been 20-50 degrees lol. Last two days have been in the low 80's and humid. So maybe 150 to 160 is right.

Maybe Ill check my line pressure again to be sure things are flowing well. One thing I need to do is move my front trans hard line some...or bend it more...when I put in the the 3" down pipe...the trans line is only a 1/2" away from the exhaust. However, it didnt seem to be a problem on the last trip until I lost the TC.

Could also be the sensor wasnt reading well?? Since I had to disco and reconnect the temp probe line...maybe im getting a more accurate reading. :dunno

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
160 is fine. The time for concern is when operating over the 200 degree mark for a long period.

The front tranny line is the output line going to the cooler. You can move it over, but the exhaust shouldn't bother it.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my trailer and jeep this weekend and trans temp stayed at 180 degrees all the way up and back. It was about 85 degrees on Friday on the way and lots of traffic for the first part of the trip. So I guess I got lucky with it just being the torque converter.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front tranny line is the output line going to the cooler. You can move it over, but the exhaust shouldn't bother it.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill. I can live with the 180 degrees. Was just thinking that its a little higher after I put the new Torque converter in than before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online