Another lift pump lets me down.

Olds64

Reaction score
Let us know how the install goes.

FWIW, I had a cheapie mechanical fuel pump fail on me. A week or so after I installed it I checked the oil and found it was pumping diesel into the crank case. Luckily I only drive it locally to the car shows.

I quickly replaced it with another mechanical lift pump, but I've always intended to do an electric pump install.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've always preferred a mechanical lift pump, but if this is the way they all are these days, I guess I'd better be saving for an electric upgrade.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup it's a joke. Many brands of electric have gone the same route. Most notably the Carter 4070. I have quite a bit of posting on the subject. As time goes on, I feel it's important to continue to share failure results of different brands/styles of pumps...as it can save others from being stuck on the side of the road

Olds64

Reaction score
That's a bummer you've had trouble with Carter fuel pumps. It's a brand I recognize. Some other folks mentioned the Holley Red/Blue pumps earlier. They're a big name in aftermarket fuel pumps for hot rods.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's a bummer you've had trouble with Carter fuel pumps. It's a brand I recognize. Some other folks mentioned the Holley Red/Blue pumps earlier. They're a big name in aftermarket fuel pumps for hot rods.
It is sad about Carter. I have a couple of those 4070 pumps. Fortunately, I just use them as transfer pumps. I was thinking about using one of those on a lower power level truck, but now it looks like Holleys for me.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know many like going electric but, since new in 1988 I'm on #3 mechanical and that's including the original wit 237,000 miles.
Sooooooo, no electric for me.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat for mechanical fuel pump issues. My replacement lasted 10k miles. I swapped the 200k unit back on...it is now dripping from the case halves.

Any suggestions on a reliable mechanical lift pump?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
It is sad about Carter. I have a couple of those 4070 pumps. Fortunately, I just use them as transfer pumps. I was thinking about using one of those on a lower power level truck, but now it looks like Holleys for me.
Well like I said I've had very good luck with the Holly Red & Blue. I bough few of them off FleeBay used & good luck.
Though Hollys are loud I personally don't care as long as they pump & pull big loads.
(don't tell no one but I just returned from Tx 2K one way trip grossing 28K+ & my Holly pumped good)

Olds64

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a reliable mechanical lift pump?

I'd go with the Carter mechanical fuel pump if you want to stay OE. NAPA or Car Quest seem to have more reliable parts or professional sales folks than any of the other chains. That being said, I generally shop at the local O'Reilly's.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mech pump just started leaking. I am wondering, are Delphi quality brand or not? I have a little tiny electric lift pump, puts out 3 psi and shuts off after the engine starts. I don’t know how it is wired to do that, but it does. It is loud. But I do not know if I would be better off to just get rid of the mech pump and convert to a big electric and put a filter setup on?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Napa Carter mechanical pumps are failing me too, any one ever find a reliable mechanical pump or do I have to bight the bullet and go electric? Has anyone ran two electrics in parallel for redundancy and than just return the extra volume?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve not used one in a diesel, but I had a similar thing on my 63 back when I still had it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online