Another cheap Cummins

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I bought this 92 D350 this morning for $1200....Runs great too....290,000KM on it. I'm going to swap it into my 92 and keep my p-pumped Cummins for a future build as planned. The trans is rebuilt and has hardly any miles since it was done. I think there is enough stuff left on the old Dodge to make most if not all my $1200 back. I'm trying to work out a deal to secure the 94 7.3T for Goofy but that's up to my buddy Danny as it's his rig - I spoke with him this morning and put the ball in his court as to what he wants to do. Our original deal was a barter deal between him and myself for parts/labour but he may want to sell the engine to Goofy directly or not at all. We will know next week.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Murphy's law has come with avengence in the last hour....My 6.9 has her ******* in a bunch over the cummins I guess - I went to move it and found a loose vacuum pump belt (sheared off pivot bolt)...No big deal - next the starter decided to act up and not crank which has never happened before.....I got it going eventually and put it in the garage only to find a blown pass side head gasket when I put it in the garage.....I needed it tommorow and there is a storm coming on Wednesday too so I need to plow with it....It got hotter than normal the other day and I feared this was coming....F__K!!!!!-cuss-cuss-cuss

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You can bolt the plow gear on my truck and run it if you need to. lol. However I fear that I am about to lose a head gasket myself. I noticed here about an hour ago that my temperature was higher than normal, and I had a little excessive pressure in the rad. Great!!!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I hope i don't join you two in those ranks.

Coming home last night i was running hard and noticed my water temp went right over to 240 (my mechanical gauge is in the overtemp position), cranked the heater and coasted off the road to cool down. Got her home, pulled the stat to discover a ******* at my shop had put the GAS 351 thermostat in my truck when i had a new motorcraft one sitting on the bench when i was swapping the motor out. Pissed for a bit when i realized what had happened but also really relieved that the truck always ran in spec with a gas radiator and a undersized gas thermostat. Popped the diesel one i had in and she seems to be running a ok now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Gotta love VE pumped cummins! About to settle with insurance so mine should be running in a few weeks ;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yep, might as well buy some headgaskets now....Mine hit 240 or so as well so I let it cool down and I pinned the fan at work for the trip home....It ran fine but it started to leak as soon as I fired it up today cold. I can see some severe cursing in my near future - I'll having Goofy wearing ear muffs tommorow...LOL....I started ripping it apart this afternoon.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yep, might as well buy some headgaskets now....Mine hit 240 or so as well so I let it cool down and I pinned the fan at work for the trip home....It ran fine but it started to leak as soon as I fired it up today cold. I can see some severe cursing in my near future - I'll having Goofy wearing ear muffs tommorow...LOL....I started ripping it apart this afternoon.

How far along did you get? I can't believe that a 6.9 HG kit costs more than a 7.3 kit...cookoo

I might as well take pics as we go along for the rebuild thread that will follow :D

I hope I manage to get my hands on that IDI 7.3T.....THAT will make a nice rebuild thread......AND a great runner for my truck.

Russ, expect some PM's soon!! And some cash work!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
a 6.9 gasket kit is more than a 7.3? I have a head set for a 6.9 in my shop for my cracked 6.9 i paid like 80 bucks for. Was gonna return it for the 7.3 set for my motor.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
a 6.9 gasket kit is more than a 7.3? I have a head set for a 6.9 in my shop for my cracked 6.9 i paid like 80 bucks for. Was gonna return it for the 7.3 set for my motor.

Apparently around here it does! I was JUST in today asking about a top end HG kit for a 1993 7.3 IDI and he guy told me either $160 or $180. Then I called the same store to ask about one for a 6.9....and it was $265 and change.