And so it begins!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Well, it WAS supposed to be Ceramichrome, but the ****** that was doing the job for me had to move his business and in the process all my parts (freshly coated but not polished yet) got dumped into a box, tossed on a pallet and lost for 3 months. I finally went down there and found them and they were all jacked up. So I smoothed things down and just sprayed them with some high temp paint. Once the motors are swapped the 7.3 valve covers will go out for real chroming. I should have just done that in the first place, but it was a friend of the family and I gave him a shot. Now I just want to shoot him....

Oh, and no one has noticed the intake yet? :sly

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
That and all the casting lugs on the runners are gone, as are the mold lines and I cleaned up and shaped the support for the inlet screen. I don't know if that will help any, but it looks much nicer! I was trying to smooth it down enough for polishing, but lost my enthusiasm. I did have fun with cleaning up the heads, they are really rough in there. That alone should be good for 50hp! OK, maybe 5-10%...

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Update

The 6.9 is in and feels much better than the 7.3 did. Probably due to a leaking head gasket that finally let go. I have some cleaning up to do in the engine compartment since the engine looks so nice now.
I also added a working cowl induction hood scoop, so I shouldn't have any heat issues.

I'll be putting the 7.3 back together, valve job and such, so if anyone is in need it will be available.

Attachments

• 099.JPG
    099.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 098.JPG
    098.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 83

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good, is that the factory style A/C Delco alt? Also is the hood all-steel, or is it steel hood with fiberglass cowl, or all-fiberglass? Oh and I guess I am indeed using Chevy mirrors on my truck, cause they look just like yours (only slightly wider).

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Chevy alt, A/C and PS pump, mounts were either modified or adapters made. The hood is stock and the cowl is steel too, bonded with aerospace adhesive (so it's guaranteed to stay on up to 300mph...). I cut the hood skin in between the ribbing in several spots, hopefully it will aid in keeping things cool.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Update!

So, it's 85* out, I poured in the antifreeze, let it idle for a bit and then went for a spin. Coolant temp is at 120* unless I go under 25mph, then it goes up to about 140*. Speed up and it goes back down. ;Sweet

Looks like the 7.3 had a bad head gasket which was leaking into the coolant passage and making me think it was overheating too much. But that was also with the Chevy radiator and a bad fan clutch, so they really didn't help at all. My Rodney Red (no fan shroud yet, or maybe at all) seems to be doing a kickass job holding down the temps! I'll hook up the trailer tomorrow and see how it all works.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The wife is using the truck this weekend up at Tahoe, so I went to fill it up for her. It would only take about 6 gal before sloshing out the filler. Hmm, could it still be that full (gauge isn't reading correctly for some reason). Quick check of my fuel milage and it's roughly 18mpg. Not bad for a crewcab dually, plus I love to hear the turbo spool! Never would have dreamed of getting even double digit milage with the 454... LOL

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but you have done a very nice job. I am wanting to swap out the 6.2 in my '82 1ton and replace with a 6.9/ZF5. This is pure inspiration.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen, You working in a headed garage there? I'll bet it is a little chilly in Minden this time of
year.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I was using my dads shop and it was heated. Made things so much nicer to work! Currently it's in the low teens in the mornings here. That will be changing in a few weeks....

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a chevy man at heart but i love these ford diesels, there simplicity. After seeing your post I now am having a vision of installing a 6.9 in my 67 1ton that sits on a 74 frame. Does any know if there is an adapter to match my chevy 4 speed to a 6.9. that would keep things as original and easy as possible.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question...? If the engine was N/A would you have to do any cutting? I am looking for a diesel to swap into my '89 Suburban 2500(2wd).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online