And so it begins!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I changed out the injectors for a set I picked up at the wreckers, found 5 leakers:eek:, so that was where my smoke was coming from. Took a bit of driving to cler out the smoke, my neighbors must love me now! Got the basic program loaded for the trans and it will snap your neck going from 1-2 and 2-3;Sweet. I'll have to tweak that a bit so the wife can drive it. I also installed new batteries, since, if it didn't start right off, that was it. It was starting better than when it was in the Ford, but now it starts on the first spin. Unfortunatly, that's all I get to do for now, tomorrow is the elbow surgery, so no more fun for a bit.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug,
I just wanted to say good luck on the surgery and keep us posted on the pictures. Sounds like you are down to the home stretch. Take care. Gina

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug,
The parts got here safely, haven't opened the box yet. I have been busy fixing my sons Mustang in order for him to use it when he gets home on the 11 of October from bootcamp. My truck gets to be on the back burner for now. I will keep you in my prayers, for a speedy recovery for your elbow. Gina

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to drop the rebuilt 6.9 in to replace the 7.3 with a bad head gasket. I've done a few little mods with the porting and cleaned up the intake. At the very least it will look better! Once it's in I'll tear the 7.3 down and see what happened, fix it, do a valve job and it will be available for sale.

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 95

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprised the 7.3 blew a gasket, ain't that an uncommon failure for them? In any case the new engine looks awesomely great!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It was probably due to:
An unknown engine history.
Banks turbo with a stuck wastegate blowing in excess of 15psi.
Not getting a huge Rodney Red radiator first off and getting the engine a bit toasty.

I was on my way to Towcats party when it started overpressurizing the cooling system and blew a hose off. It still runs nice, just looses coolant due to the pressure. I'll know more once it's out and apart.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Wow, nice looking 6.9. Thanks for posting in this thread, it gave me the opportunity to read about your truck and appriciate it all the more. Nice rig!

I've always been a Chevy guy, but couldn't resist the steal of a deal I got on my 1990 IDI. I've since fallen in love with IH IDIs (don't want anything else under my hood:backoff), but still like to see a nice Chevy - especially 6.9 or 7.3 powered.:thumbsup:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Thanks, this was my very first repower and I just had to go with a diesel, something neither me nor my Dad had ever touched. He still doesn't know much about them, but I've learned a lot by reading on here for the last few years. Never would have done it if it weren't for Oilburners!

Oh, and I stuck with my Chevy because it rides so much better than a 1 ton Ford!

:D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And Chevys are so much easier to lower too ;p But really I don't have complaints about the ride quality of my 1-ton, at least from the front - the rear is real harsh, but it's my own doing cause of the springs I put in there.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Never would have done it if it weren't for Oilburners!

Yeah, I'd be totally lost without Oilburners. When I bought my truck in July 2008, I didn't even understand what made a diesel differant from a gasser. Boy have I learned a ton in a couple of years!

Way to take a project by the horns!:D

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
And Chevys are so much easier to lower too ;p

Haven't been able to get that cleared by the wife yet! cookoo

When I first took her to check it out is was pretty ratty looking. But once we got going she couldn't believe how well it rode for being a 1 ton. Smooth and comfy. Now it has new paint, interior, shell, rack and now gets way better fuel mileage.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Doug; what is the finish you used on the manifolds, and valve covers? Its not just paint is it? It looks great. Good work.