An IDI in very remote areas, for critical jobs?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just steal icanfixall's truck, enough spare parts behind the seat to repair 10 trucks. :D

Na, he's a commercial vehicle... Gary's truck would get him an overweight ticket with all the spares he;'s got stuffed behind the seat :rotflmao

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the truck in good condition, it should be as dependable as a similar PSD.

for spares:
injector caps, o-rings and hoses
couple of glow plugs
couple of fuel filters
voltage regulator if running the original alternator
possibly a starter solenoid if the starter has not been serviced in a while.
good injector cleaner

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pic from last summer -- 'Still feel this 22 year old truck is just as (or more) reliable then a new one.

I need a vehicle that is near 100% dependable. I have an E350 XLT that had superb maint it's entire life, 270,000 miles. I've gone through all the systems and replaced everything that looked aged, and will carry a fair amount of spare parts and tools.

I'm thinking of using mine for aircraft maint calls, often at deserted airports. I'll also be driving for 100-200 miles on very rural roads, with no cell phone coverage, and the nearest Autozone store 75 miles away.

I can fix most mechanical problems myself, but a mechanical delay of 2-3 hrs in getting to an aircraft, would probably mean losing that client's future business.

So, is anyone using an IDI in a similar situation?

Attachments

• MRT6644.jpg
    MRT6644.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 8

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
A pic from last summer -- 'Still feel this 22 year old truck is just as (or more) reliable then a new one.

there is far less to go wrong with these trucks than a new one. if the vehicle has been well maintained there is no reason why you cant trust it. i'd trust my old idi than a new 6.0 or 6.4 (though the 6.4 makes fairly good hp and mpg when you open it up) but i've already had too many bad experiences with the newer diesels. The 7.3 was reliable but if it broke down it was expensive and far harder to fix in the middle of nowhere than a idi.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting suggestion.

I know nothing about SSB or ham radio.

I guess I'd have to contact another ham operator, and ask him to make a cell phone call for me if I needed assistance.

And that works quite well actually,and some repeaters have dialing capabilities

Also I would put in a large battery disconnect to eliminate parasitic drains when sitting for long periods. I have 60k trouble free miles on my overhaul and you know what they say about mechanics trucks/cars.

DragRag

Reaction score
IDI powered hands down will give you the most relaibility with the least cost of maintenance or repairs IMO. That is the very reason i have chosen my fleet to be 86-94 trucks for the most part, I have one powersmoke in the fleet couldn't pass on it for a grand. Go bu powerstroke injectors, and tell me how you feel. Wait until a glow plug or injector harness goes bad, or a hpop. Forget about all that nonsense, and go the tried and true mechanical diesel route. You will not win a lot of races, but you may win some. The real advantage is relaibility, and thriftiness.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
IDI powered hands down will give you the most relaibility with the least cost of maintenance or repairs IMO. That is the very reason i have chosen my fleet to be 86-94 trucks for the most part, I have one powersmoke in the fleet couldn't pass on it for a grand. Go bu powerstroke injectors, and tell me how you feel. Wait until a glow plug or injector harness goes bad, or a hpop. Forget about all that nonsense, and go the tried and true mechanical diesel route. You will not win a lot of races, but you may win some. The real advantage is relaibility, and thriftiness.

the races well win are the ones where the elctronics go out f our opponents trucks. or the cops start shooting EMP's around LOL

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
the races well win are the ones where the elctronics go out f our opponents trucks. or the cops start shooting EMP's around LOL

I surprised my buddy with my '86 against his "can't lose" 5.7 Hemi 5-spd... took him all the way til 60, then he passed me. He had a new respect for the old dog that day.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I enjoy taking my IDI into some of the more remote places in Utah and several other states. For me peace of mind is a very detailed list of all maintenance preformed to the truck and keeping on top of preventative maintenance. Overall its good to know the--to the day--history on all wear items for the motor and drivetrain ;Sweet

On an IDI things like return line O-rings should be kept on top of, the same goes for the rest of the fuel system. If you don't know the history on these parts it can lead to trouble pretty quick same goes for the glow plug circuit. I would look into changing the oil cooler o-rings as well because you're dead in the water when those go bad and there isn't an easy way to change them in the middle of nowhere :eek:

Imo the IDI is very well suited for that sort of thing, but there are a few critical spares I'd carry when traveling solo. Aside from what has been mentioned above I would carry a full set of V-belts. Often times when one lets loose they all get wiped out. Extra fuel in a jerry can will help prime the system which also keeps the batteries and starter healthy. I like to keep a fully charged spare battery with me as well. Chemicals like gear lube, engine oil, RTV silicone/gasket maker, anti-gel/fuel conditioner, #2 diesel, ATF, power steering fuid, ether all come in handy at some point. Also bring more water than you think you'll ever need for yourself and your cooling system. Pound for pound I'd rather have lots of water with two uses than lots of antifreeze that's only good for one thing.

For the drivetrain: If you anticipate the use of 4wd make sure you're ujoints in both drive shafts are in good health and I'd only run the non grease-able Spicer brand for strength and reliability. It might be a good idea to carry a spare locking hub or drive flange and a U-joint just in case. A $40 autozone ball joint press kit makes changing U-joints easier as well.

I know you're working and not playing, but http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ offers a wealth of information, tips and advise for back country travel. Look into the communications forum as I agree that a HAM radio would be a very useful tool. Also a good multi-meter is a godsend and when you need one nothing else will do the job (learned my lesson the hard way :()! Hope this helps and enjoy your time out there!

Andrew