IDI wizards please step inside…

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Still have the trans problem.

Fluid level, odor and color are good. I replaced the trans fluid and filter 2 years ago, about 2000 miles ago. Shifts into reverse fine.

Checked all the lights, all are working properly.

It shifts fine in all gears up and down except going from first to second.

I cleaned the contacts on the manual position lever sensor on the lower left side of the transmission. I also swapped in a known good TPS but the problem remains.

I have the od light in the shift lever, it never illuminated, don’t know if it is still working, I suspect it is given the maint history of the vehicle. I looked for a cheap code reader but the only ones that would read the trans were $250. I may try to pull codes without a reader, but there is a lot of conflicting info on how to do that.

I’m hesitant to sink money into this vehicle because if it needs a new transmission, it will end up in the salvage yard. Sucks because the van is in great shape otherwise. Almost rust free.

I’ll swap in a known good tach sensor today and if that doesn’t help I’ll drop the pan and look for anything unusual.

Thank you for your advice and the photos. I'll update with the final disposition.

chief1983

Reaction score
Like I said, try a dedicated transmission shop with a reader, a lot will pull codes for free out of good faith you might bring them real work some day or recommend them, etc. The dealer charged me as part of overall diagnostics they performed once, but the trans shop actually said they couldn't investigate further with the trans code and told me what it was, no charge for that.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
UPDATE............ TRANS PROBLEM SOLVED

While I do have manuals, I don't have all the neat test equipment and specialty tools the Ford manuals frequently reference, so I ended up shotgunning the problem by replacing parts. BTW, the manual suggested the true problem was a clutch pack inside the transmission but that was not the case.

I replaced the TPS/checked the voltage, checked wiring for damage, cleaned wiring connector connections, replaced the MLPS, replaced the tach sensor, all with no improvement.

I then installed a new vehicle speed sensor located atop the rear differential, bought new at O'Reillys Auto Parts. The test drive resulted in three other problems, a speedometer needle jumping around at speeds between 45-55 mph and irregular shifting at all speeds under 45mph and the cruise control unable to maintain a constant speed on level roads. I knew the aftermarket VSS had a spotty reputation so I replaced it with a junkyard one.

that eliminated all the problems. Van shifts smoothly now. time to find an OEM VSS.