An IDI in very remote areas, for critical jobs?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I need a vehicle that is near 100% dependable.

I have an E350 XLT that had superb maint it's entire life, 270,000 miles. I've gone through all the systems and replaced everything that looked aged, and will carry a fair amount of spare parts and tools.

I'm thinking of using mine for aircraft maint calls, often at deserted airports. I'll also be driving for 100-200 miles on very rural roads, with no cell phone coverage, and the nearest Autozone store 75 miles away.

I can fix most mechanical problems myself, but a mechanical delay of 2-3 hrs in getting to an aircraft, would probably mean losing that client's future business.

So, is anyone using an IDI in a similar situation?

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a very intensive time sensitive snow clearing route. #1 truck is a '94 idi and
#2 truck is a '86 idi. Late or no-show loses customers for sure. The '86 was bought new
and has done this it's entire life and the '94 acquired in 2010 w/157k

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run my '92 from kali to TX and never had a problem with the truck. Granted I did a complete overhaul to the truck just after purchase in 2005, the truck has given me plenty of warning before any parts failing since then. Still, I carry a truck toolbox full of consumables, but never really had to get into them. Having extra parts is expensive, but you can do all work in the middle of nowhere on these trucks. I do have a checklist for all engine/trans service parts.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the major items in keeping a vehicle working is ease of maintenance. When you do a point by point comparison between an IDI truck and a later Powerstroke 7.3 with direct injection/computer control you quickly find that the later vehicle requires a boat load of very special equipment to even troubleshoot it's rather quirky electrical control system and computer. Plus, a set of injectors for example for the electric over oil pressure controlled injector system runs in the $1200 range as compared with IDI injectors for less than 1/3 of that.

On the IDI trucks troubleshooting is pretty straight forward once you understand the systems. You can easily carry a set of "spares" to cover most possible failures. I live on a remote ranch that's 90 miles to the nearest parts store and my choice is IDI trucks for most of the same reasons you have. They need to work every time.. all the time and if they don't, I need to fix it with what I have with me.

Just like the airplanes you work on, know the trucks systems, understand what it's supposed to do when it's working right and you will know what's wrong when it doesn't. Very few things on the IDI trucks fail suddenly, unlike my experience with computer controlled Powerstrokes where a failed cam sensor will leave you in the middle of an off ramp in rush hour traffic completely dead.-cuss

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my '93 IDI to tow a travel trailer 1,000 miles into Mexico. I don't speak Spanish, but I know that if something goes wrong I can most likely fix it or find someone who can. With electronic diesels, once it quits, you're walking.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
thats another reason why i own a IDI. I had a old Benz diesel and i wanted a diesel pickup. went to a diesel suburban but the CONSTANT problems with the stupid electronics in it made me want something simple. Working on cars day in and out makes me hate them even more. Only thing electronic in my truck is the odometer and the radio.

Push start the truck if i need. Mechanical 4wd, injectors swap easily, carry a spare voltage regulator and simple tools will fix just about anything on these trucks.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Sounds like a good SSB or mobile ham radio may be a good piece of equipment for you as well, given that you'll be that rural.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be in the "spares" bin? I think I want to make one. I agree you could carry a spare of most items to keep one of there beasts going.

Ill Start
Fuel system: IP, Inj, Filter
All Rubber hoses
some stop leak
Fluids
Some of those freeze plug repair thingies
??

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Sounds like a good SSB or mobile ham radio may be a good piece of equipment for you as well, given that you'll be that rural.

interesting suggestion.

My van was used for nuclear weapons convoys, and had a comm system that could probably talk to the space shuttle. Everything is still intact, except the radios were pulled from the racks.

I know nothing about SSB or ham radio.

I guess I'd have to contact another ham operator, and ask him to make a cell phone call for me if I needed assistance.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Every time my truck has broken down, it's given my ample warning that something was going wrong. Only time I had sudden failure was when my vacuum pump fell off, but that was only because I had just put it on and didn't tighten the bolts properly.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I know riotwarrior is a HAM op....an SSB rig can be had relatively easily...just a CB with sideband on it. like I said...just a suggestion but if you ever do get stuck in the middle of BFE with no one bound to come across you.....it'd be better than nothin.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well, I have a very intensive time sensitive snow clearing route. #1 truck is a '94 idi and
#2 truck is a '86 idi. Late or no-show loses customers for sure. The '86 was bought new
and has done this it's entire life and the '94 acquired in 2010 w/157k

Same here when I lived in the other "Small town MA". I Had a large plow route also. The 84 f250 was definitely reliable.Then it went on the road for two years, pulling a 30 goose neck hauling tractors etc. The only break down then was a twisted drive shaft in NY. I out the engine in an F350 cc Dually, added a turbo and hauled for 3 more years. Lots of trips were 10,000 miles B4 I would get back home, covered from Nebraska to Fla & Maine ( entire 1/2 of the US. My worst complaint was fan-alt belts. I lost an engine and a trans,1 injector (leaking causing knock)1 alternator on the Dually,a fan clutch. The trailer took more regular maintainence then the truck. Oops I did replace a inj pump once while traveling,but it was still running so I did it at my convenience. I'm sure I forgot something but it was very dependable when the amount it ran was considered.
Also on the road it would run 24 -7, sometimes shutting off only to fuel. I ran it for my AC in the summer & heat in the winter while I was napping . I modded the fast idle solenoid to give it a faster idle,and had a switch for it in the cab. I would trust an IDI more than any later electronic controlled diesel.
The truck now has around 500,000 miles and is still dependable.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a ham too. Put an HF rig in there, and you'll always be able to talk to somebody somewhere.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If going to remote areas, stock spares the way that it used to be required in the days before satellite communication ( back when I used to run up there , not like these guys on TV now that have an army of support at their disposal if they break down) to stock spares to run up in certain remote areas in the great white north where nobody was coming for you and you will be all set. A spare tire for each axle, spare alternator, starter, vacuum pump , water pump thermostat, fan clutch, torch set, spare fluids enough to refill anything that might get ruptured , spare batteries, spools of wire and connectors, and you are good to go.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just steal icanfixall's truck, enough spare parts behind the seat to repair 10 trucks. :D