Am I going to need a new IP and injectors for my 6.9?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
First off you said it was having trouble cold starting. Does it crank and crank and crank endlessly before firing, or does it fire up immidiately with a big cloud of smoke , then die right away, then you have to crank and crank and crank endlessly to get it to fire again ?
This information will tell us a lot If it does the first, you most likely have an air leak in the return line system, if it does teh second , you have one or more injectors leaking at the nozzle
Also, locate the cold start advance solenoid on your injection pump ( use teh search feature here on this site and you will come up with a diagram or picture ) and then have someone turn the key on while feeling the thing to see if it clicks, if not check to see it is getting 12v
Do you get any engine knocking at partial throttle, kind of sounds like a gas engine with a bad rod bearing, but it goes away when you let off the throttle or lay into it full throttle ?

mozzles

Reaction score
Usually I'll have to crank on it a few times before it will start.. and then a big puff of smoke that smells rich once it does. Never had it die right away but I'll give it a little gas if it sounds like it's gonna.

The other day the cranking was enough to drain my battery, it was below freezing in the morning and batteries were probably already a little low from last time I drove it and had trouble starting.

It's damn cold out there this morning, I can go try and start it and pay close attention to how long it needs to crank. Again I'm not very familiar with engines in general but doing my best to learn.

Would you say that cranking 2 or 3 times for 5 seconds each would be in the first or second category? Because that's where I'm leaning right now.

And thanks Mariner for the thorough post, I was hoping to eliminate possibilities like that before spending the money on an IP or injectors. I would have filled my fuel filter with diesel kleen and let it sit all night like I've heard to, only I still can't get the damn filter off. That's another issue and another headache I've been trying to forget about.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...........I still can't get the damn filter off. That's another issue....

First do you have a new filter for the truck?

Second have you attempted to use a "Filter" wrench?
You must be registered for see images attach

Something such as that? If you cannot get it off try the right tool for the job, investing in tools...Always a good idea! Need it once....you will need it again!

Don't forget Lefty Loosey...Righty Tighty...

mozzles

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Have got a new filter, tried a strap wrench and it wouldn't budge, a friend came over and same thing. Neither of us had ever had that hard of a time getting one to come off.

I also picked up a pliers style oil filter wrench and still no luck. It's unbelievable how bad it's stuck on there. Been using plenty of PB Blaster in between too.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Good luck, I've jabbed a screwdriver though the side to remove them before... Be sure to use some sort of lube on the seal when you install a new one ;Sweet

mozzles

Reaction score
Screwdriver trick is my last resort, I've heard too many horror stories about still not being able to get it off, and leaving a hole in the filter. DEFIITELY going to be putting some oil on the gasket before I get the next one on! LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Use a punch and punch a small hole in the side of the filter. Then stab a thick screwdriver through it (the thicker the better, if its to thin it might just cut through the filter when you spin it). Then you will be able to spin it off. Gotta make sure you go directly through, if you just puncture the outside there isnt enough meat in the side of the filter to spin it off without ripping through it.

mozzles

Reaction score
What's up FordGuy100, you post on both forums too huh? You been helping me with tires over on the ford-trucks forum.

I'm hesitant to go with the screwdriver method, might just get a hold of the auto director at the school I go to and see if they could break it loose for me. Knowing my luck I'd be left with a hole in the side of my fuel filter and my driveway covered in diesel... LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There's a small possibility of an air intrusion at the return lines, but I'm inclined to agree that you need to get that filter changed before you can condemn anything here. It really sounds like you have a restriction issue here. If it wont budge, take teh whole filter head off and get it in a good vice where you can really lean into it, a filter wrench with jaws can be your friend here, chances are that filter will end up looking like lasagna by the time you get through with it. Go by the dealer and get a new handful of fuel line olives before removing teh filter head so you can re seal the lines

mozzles

Reaction score
I don't know anything about resealing the lines, is that tough? I am basically a novice, done some work on trucks with the help of people on forums like you guys but that's about it. Was thinking about taking the whole filter head off but wouldn't air get in the lines? Also would fuel be pouring out of the line the whole time? What would I do about that?

Also I don't have a vice, or know anyone who does. Don't know a lot of people over here where I'm going to school right now.

Well today I took my truck to the store, engine got good and warm and then I went in for probably 20-30 minutes, came out and it didn't start on the first try (cranking about 5 or 6 seconds) but the second it started right up. Came home for maybe 20 minutes and left again and it started right up. So I'm wondering how bad the hot start issue really is.

Once I get over to Portland and meet up with punkmechanic we'll get the timing set and pop test the injectors, and install a new injector kit that one member sells. I forget his screen name but he's in Newberg nearby and sells good viton o-rings. Hopefully that will clear up the smoke issue and make it run a lot better. I'm not positive but it sounds like it might have a knock to it right now.

mozzles

Reaction score
So today I stopped by a mechanic's shop in town and asked him about it, he had a really nice oil filter wrench that he let me borrow for a minute and I got it off! Was so excited to see that thing start to turn.

It was the style of wrench that's a loop of seatbelt material, with a socket on it. That with the nice driver he let me use had no problem getting it off, and he didn't even charge me for letting me use it.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 87 that's doing the same smoking thing....pulled my injectors and had them Checked by the local college (I know the instructor) and mine was cause by 3 bad injectors. NOT saying my IP isn't bad, but as of now it seems to be the injectors. I would start by having those checked and running some cleaner and/or ATF through the fuel. BTW, a quick fix to get you started when it's hot an won't start...dump a bottle of cold water over the IP. Got my buddy bcd on the move several times.