Aluminum Radiators On the Cheap...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back and added a link in my previous post. It tells you all about it, and you can click on the pdf link for even more info.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I just did some searching on the Zerex. it says that is contains low silicate, but is also protects metals including allum. i take it that this stuff has some other chemical to protect allum. Would the fleet charge be the same way?

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about this coolant from CAT?

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/1386261/7/PEHP9554-03.pdf

Component Protection
Cat DEAC contains inhibitors that provide superior protection for metal components,
especially aluminum, against pitting and corrosion. The formulation of Cat DEAC minimizes
the formation of foam.
Convenience
Cat DEAC is a fully formulated and embittered concentrate that is ready to be mixed with
water. No Supplemental Coolant Additive is needed until testing indicates.

tknomaj

Reaction score
The cheap ebay aluminum radiators are not glued together, they are welded also. I have one.

I did not say that they were glued. I have one also for three years now. But some aluminum radiators are glued together with a resin that looks like fiberglass and is clear and after time and heat yellows. and some of them are not cheap! and the alternative to TIG WELDING IS GLUE.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about this coolant from CAT?

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/1386261/7/PEHP9554-03.pdf

Component Protection
Cat DEAC contains inhibitors that provide superior protection for metal components,
especially aluminum, against pitting and corrosion. The formulation of Cat DEAC minimizes
the formation of foam.
Convenience
Cat DEAC is a fully formulated and embittered concentrate that is ready to be mixed with
water. No Supplemental Coolant Additive is needed until testing indicates.

I also was wondering about this coolant, everyone says the CAT ELC will eat your oil cooler o-rings... what about this?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Id run final Charge ELC.

It does not have the 2-EH witch some of the other ELCs have that eats certain types of gaskets.

Its not Cheap but you won't have to worry about SCAs for a long time!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the Zerex GO5 come pre-mixed with water or straight coolant?
I used to run Zerex in my M-B's, and I only ever saw it sold as straight coolant. It's been a couple of years, though, so I'm not sure if anything's changed...

I also was wondering about this coolant, everyone says the CAT ELC will eat your oil cooler o-rings... what about this?
I've heard that also. With that said, I am running Cat ELC and have been since 2006. I had replaced my oil cooler O-rings shortly before making the switch, so I wasn't afraid...and I haven't had any cooling system-related problems since ;Sweet I replaced the radiator at about the same time, and it still looks new inside :D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
So you cant run the fleet charge with the aluminum rads?

I am going to err on the side of caution and the experience of fellow members. i found that my local car quest has the Zerex GO5. it is $2 more a gallon that the fleet charge but for $2 more i will get a lot more peace of mind. i took my fleet charge back to TSC today.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, seeing as how my top tank has a crack in it and has been leaking since I bought the truck over 2 years ago, I think it might be time I put a new radiator in the old girl.

So no one seems to be having any quality issues with these? That's unreal!!! I priced a radiator up at Canadian Tire once.....be about $850 for a factory style radiator....too much for me, so I JB welded mine up....lasted about a year and a half before the JB suffered the heat cycles and started cracking off.

Under $300 shipped for a brand new radiator.....WHYNOT?!?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online