Aluminum Heads For The IDI

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2) Aluminum melts at 1280 f. It will not magically stay solid at 1600. That is why the crucial number on anyone's exhaust gas gauge is 1150, since it is downstream from the event. Any higher and you are looking at pistons with holes in the top.

Pistons and heads are not made from aluminum. They are made from an alloy that contains aluminum that will not melt at 1280. I have run my iron block/al head race car for hours at a time at 1200+ and have run other cars at up to 1400 with no damage.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dispersing heat isn't what you want in a diesel head

Yes, it is. The better you can remove heat, the more control you have. Ever run your idi hot? I have. I would rather be able to pull more heat out of the engine. Keeping it in is the easy part.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
6) What good does it do to talk about not ******* in other people's cheerios and then go ahead and do it anyway? Your opinions count as much as anyone else, but don't wrap them in a **** sandwich. They lose their taste.

you owe me a new monitor!!!!!! dang!! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:hail[/QUOTE]

Well Mike.. I may have to borrow that quote....:rotflmao I really didn't need a reason to clean the screen on this side of the computer.. But it sparkles now..:thumbsup::D I'm not pointing out a failure or falsehood in someones posts. But looking at the number of posts we both have and we joined this board about the same time. It appears I have over 14,000 more posts. Validation for what I post....:dunno Maybe:angel: Angry about the posting about wasting time porting an idi head.. Nope. Just sad that someone can't see the usefullness in it. Sometimes I feel I failed to help others to understand whats known to work and work well. Moving on now..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...

Let me put this really simple...for the KB knowitalls

AL heads are NOT pure AL but a combination of different materials to help raise integrity of the product!

Aluminum Heads work...

Cast Iron heads work....

Porting WORKS....

Porting and POLISHING Works better...for our diesels

SPITTING ON Monitor NOT GOOD!

If you spat on your monitor you likely spewed on your KB so clean it too...

Pistons are NOT PURE AL either but again a combination of different metals to increase integrity of the product!

There is some new Steel or Iron pistons out to increase strength as well...NOT FOR OUR ENGINES

Unicorns have single Horns...rainbows are pretty and have a big pot of gold at the end...I'll be damned if I can ever find that pot cause it's gotta be at the other end of the rainbow...stupid lepricons don't say which end...lil buggers...

Today is FRIDAY...called such cause everyones mind is FRIED from being at work all week long....

JM2CW but it's all I got today....especially for this thread....

Al

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
OK boy and girls, another lesson in metallurgy. Alloys generally melt at a lower temperature than the parent metal. I looked it up to refresh my memory, and found that aluminum alloys melt at a range of 865 - 1240 f. The fact that there is not an immediate failure if the exhaust temp gets to 1200 is because there is always a cooling effect in the combustion cycle and only one small area will reach the melting point at some time during the cycle for a tiny fraction of a second. The thickness of the piston alone is often enough to stall failure, and our IDI engines have a flow of oil cooling the pistons from underneath constantly. The fact remains that it is very dangerous to the life of the engine to run high EGTs on a continuous basis.

There are iron coated pistons around, some used in aluminum block engines like the late 60s ZL-1 Chevy.

Silicon and other elements are added to aluminum to make it useable in various purposes. ****** aluminum is far too soft to be used in automotive engines.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK boy and girls, another lesson in metallurgy. Alloys generally melt at a lower temperature than the parent metal. I looked it up to refresh my memory, and found that aluminum alloys melt at a range of 865 - 1240 f. The fact that there is not an immediate failure if the exhaust temp gets to 1200 is because there is always a cooling effect in the combustion cycle and only one small area will reach the melting point at some time during the cycle for a tiny fraction of a second. The thickness of the piston alone is often enough to stall failure, and our IDI engines have a flow of oil cooling the pistons from underneath constantly. The fact remains that it is very dangerous to the life of the engine to run high EGTs on a continuous basis.

There are iron coated pistons around, some used in aluminum block engines like the late 60s ZL-1 Chevy.

Silicon and other elements are added to aluminum to make it useable in various purposes. ****** aluminum is far too soft to be used in automotive engines.

Just sayin

http://www.ret-monitor.com/articles/137/steel-monotherm-diesel-race-piston/

Steel pistons!

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is so much more to it than that, especially when an alloy is made for the purpose of having a higher melting point than the base metal. Example: iron melts at 2300, while medium carbon steel melts at 2700.

I also found this while checking some facts: Aluminum melting point (temperature) is recorded to be 660.37 °C (or 1220.666 °F, 933.52 K). Whereas the meting point of aluminum oxide or alumina is comparatively higher than its pure metal form, about 2,000 °C (or 3,600 °F).
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/aluminum-melting-point.html

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
the meting point of aluminum oxide or alumina is comparatively higher than its pure metal form, about 2,000 °C (or 3,600 °F).

Now we are getting into another realm altogether. Alumina, or aluminum oxide, is not an alloy, it is a compound. Al2O3. It is not useful to OB in any form other than abrasives.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Now we are getting into another realm altogether. Alumina, or aluminum oxide, is not an alloy, it is a compound. Al2O3. It is not useful to OB in any form other than abrasives.

do me a large favor,,and lay the FACTS out on this thread,,for all those that want to learn can read...those that dont want to learn,,,,wellllllll..........................

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online