Altitude affecting Turbo IDIT causing smoke?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
1994 IDIT. 143k miles.5-speed 4x4, Bilsteins all around. Rear air bags. Gooseneck hitch.

Aftermarket wheels with 285/75R16 tires... I'm guessing it has 3.55 gears as I cruise about 1950rpm at 70 in 5th gear.

Ran 80+ with ease in Idaho where the speed limit is 80. Speed slowed to 76 over Rattlesnake Pass coming into Utah.

So far a fun truck and just what I was looking for. Not sure what other specs I can share...

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jealous! Lemme know if you need to part with it. What a great looking truck.

Should your Kent Moore meter not work you are still welcome to use mine.

I am interested to see what the truck does with a fresh set of filters and the advance jumped.

My Truck registered 3-5% opacity for years. The limit here is 20%.

Once you get it sorted I think you'll definitely be able to add some fuel and accompanying boost and still be well within limits.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
It's awesome to see a bunch of guys from Utah I travel back home a lot and grew up in southern Utah and in there all the time there with my idi I learned there is also a lot of hard pulling that being said at 5600 feet elevation you can expect a bit of smoke but you got to rember the idi is a big air pumps more air in an more air out also if not pulling I keep my right foot in granny mode till I need the fuel usually keeps the local deputy happy but I'm always happy to have that fuel when it's needed

I try to do granny mode! Really.

Problem is that to get out of my neighborhood I have to pull into a busy highway that traffic runs 50 mph on. That's when I black cloud the corner as I try to get into traffic....

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Jealous! Lemme know if you need to part with it. What a great looking truck.

Should your Kent Moore meter not work you are still welcome to use mine.

I am interested to see what the truck does with a fresh set of filters and the advance jumped.

My Truck registered 3-5% opacity for years. The limit here is 20%.

Once you get it sorted I think you'll definitely be able to add some fuel and accompanying boost and still be well within limits.

Thanks!

I'm hoping to get down to Napa before they close. We roll up the sidewalks early around here.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has the original injection pump it will have an adjustment for low rpm fueling that you could trim some smoke out with. I would also check the air filter and replace the fuel filter so you know they have been serviced, both of those can cause the truck to smoke more than normal.
Sounds like you should try the above IP adjustment too, after the filters. It's on my to-do list and I'm only at 1000ft!

That's one stellar looking pickup! I'm super jealous of the quad cab, ever since I had a second kiddo I've been wishing I had one!

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking truck. Small world too. I'm in Salt Lake County, a member of RME, and I used to work with slc97sr5's father-in-law.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
I try to do granny mode! Really.

Problem is that to get out of my neighborhood I have to pull into a busy highway that traffic runs 50 mph on. That's when I black cloud the corner as I try to get into traffic....

timing set in the 5-6 deg range will help a bunch with that smoke. Usually a factory turbo with fuel maxxed and timing set in the 5-6 range wont smoke unless you jump on it quick before boost.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Ok. Fresh filters didn't really change anything.

I will see about bumping the timing when time allows.

Here is where it sits as delivered. All the rebuilder seals are intact on the pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
timing set in the 5-6 deg range will help a bunch with that smoke. Usually a factory turbo with fuel maxxed and timing set in the 5-6 range wont smoke unless you jump on it quick before boost.
Retarding the timing will make less smoke, but will increase egts especially if you increase fuel at the same time. We recently had a stock idit on the dyno and could easily peg egts in the 1200* range with stock tuning when simulating a long pull up a hill with a load, advancing the timing netted more power and less egts, but we started getting smoke lower in the rpm range without touching fueling.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Fresh filters didn't really change anything.

I will see about bumping the timing when time allows.

Here is where it sits as delivered. All the rebuilder seals are intact on the pump.

You can remove the rear spade connector on the injection pump and use a jumper wire to the front prong and take it for a drive. This will advance your timing a few degrees, and if the smoke decreases (likely will be more smoke and power) you will know if the truck needs more or less timing without touching any of the mechanical adjustments on the pump.

There are high and low altitude specs for these pumps, some claim there to be different engines even for different altitudes but I haven’t seen any data that would suggest so, you may just need to cut the fueling back a bit to clean up the smoke. Or you could just put more air in by playing with the wastegate, making the exhaust more free flowing, or going with a cold air intake.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I'd prefer to bring the airflow up and free up the exhaust first. I'm going to need to spend a few bucks to get this truck where I want it to pull my trailer over the passes. Not looking for fast, but adequate...

I have an intercooler and a set of ARP head studs waiting to go in. Want to do a camshaft.

The more I look into it, the more it looks like pulling the motor and doing it all at once is the way to go.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well, gauges are in. I found a used CTS2 and ordered their 12v power cord. (They are usually power by the OBD2 port)

Only had time to take a 15 minute test drive. The factory turbo seems really slow to spool and I can't get over 5.2psig of boost!!

Most of time the truck is in NA mode.
Highest egt was up a steep hill and hit 1188.

I made a little video, but I don't know where to host it so here is a screen capture of my max boost on a flat pull in 4th gear.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Plugged the wastegate. I am seeing a touch over 9 psi and the truck has a bit more pep.

I guess it's time to get out the timing tool and learn how to turn up the fuel a bit.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up the “DB2 Tuning Guide” on here, you will get more than enough fuel from the stock pump with the right adjustments. Make sure you have an accurate pyro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online