Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes it a stud. Does the plate pull away from the firewall at all?

Or, is there any of the stud sticking out into the cab beyond the nut?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spent a bit out there now, the grinder i got wont fit up there, I tried vice grips, shimming it, hammering it, bending it, you name it, not gonna happen. At this point i'm really out of ideas. There isn't enough space to grab anything from the engine bay side, and heaven knows theres no room to work from under the dash either. Might have to throw the towel in on this one as dumb as it sounds. I just can't think of anything else that would work. Hell i even broke a screw driver trying to break the MC by prying against the firewall.

Ok so your in this to win this for sure NOW....

Start by accepting that the MC is NOW going to DIE a slow death, you will now purchase a NEW one!

Remove the Brake booster from firewall....pull away carefully and get yourself clearance for working on the clutch MC.

With Bracke Booster out of the way, you have lots of room for surgery.

Now however you can...remove as much fluid from MC..Turkey baster comes to mind...and some toilet paper to get finial little bit out.

Once MC is as clear of fluid as possible, you can probably NOW cut the MC off the firewall...I'd start by cutting JUST behind the reservoir leaving a small stub sticking out so no reservoir just the MC tube and two mount tabs...

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE TUBE FROM MC TO SLAVE!!!! Just sayin...BE CAREFULL!!!!

Now with the MC reservoir out of the way, you can proceed to cut/hack grab bend do what ever you need to to get that stupid spinning stud stopped or cut/ground away and the rest falls into the cab!

I hope this makes sense, it sure does in my head!

DON"T CUT THE PLATE...you don't need to.

Just absolve yourself to replacing that MC and your golden...if you can afford it get a new slave too....in for penny in for pound...do this one time...not two ...

Try to get the metal MC and slave with a good proper bleeder screw!

IMHO if your installing a new MC do the slave at the same time and know for certain both are new, and you won't have to worry about them for long time! If you are lucky, there maybe a pre-bled setup for you!

JM2CW

Al

BTW Good luck...and TAKE LOTS OF PICS! PLEASE

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hey I know what to do. Get yourself a dremel with a cutting wheel. That'll fit in either side. And they come in real handy for lots of stuff.

I used one while fixing my number one glowplug hole. Think of that tight area, but I did it. Just make sure it's the corded version. The battery powered ones suck.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jasper i actually did run out an buy a dremel. even that barely had enough room but i got it to work. cut a corner of the nut/stud at a time, then spun the stud and did another corner. You're right, the dremel does come in handy. I got a kit of 70 discs for 15 bucks and went to town. Trimed up the firewall crack nice nice and cut some inner fender liner that was rubbing against my steering shaft. I imagine i'll have some fun with it soon.

riot - even with the bb out of the way, it just wasn't going to happen. I knew i'd need a new master, i accepted that lol. I broke a screw driver trying to bend it off the firewall thinking the stud would just pop out eventually. nada.

I put everything together since i'll still have room to mount the new master with everything in the way. So far so good with not losing bolts, and remembering what went where. Just fighting that collar at the base of the steering column now but my hands are too cold to do anymore today. Hopefully tomorrow i'll get the new master on and test it out. I still never got to see if the borgeson shaft lives up to it's name.

Any tips i should know before taking the old master off and installing the new one? anything that might make bleeding it easier/harder?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I have to bench bleed it? Or can I just install it and bleed it?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
search here there is TONS on bleeding and various ways...does usually require TWO peeps BTW

yes i know theres a lot of info on bleeding, but i want to make sure with a replacement on how to do it. It even has a warning sticker across it not to install until it's bench bled. That's the part i'm confused on. Jasper was on the money with it i think as that write up discusses dry replacement masters.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should the fluid flow out from the new master with the line disconnected from the slave as fast as if i was pouring it right on the ground? or is it going to be a steady quick drip? Cuz all i'm getting is a steady quick drip...given it was absolutely freezing outside if that makes a difference.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've never bled brakes either! lol I can handle "unbolt this" and "bolt that" i'm new at this fluid stuff lol. But good! Hopefully i bled the slave good enough, i made a gigantic mess all over myself in the process. I got everything connected now but left the pins out in case yall told me the drip wasn't good. I'll put em in an finish up tomorrow afternoon.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of updates today!

it runs! I put mostly everything together after work today. Still have to adjust the pushrod, and do tighten down some misc bolts but it runs and drives again. Shifts like a dream (just drove it back and fourth down my driveway). Hasn't shifted this nice the entire time i've owned it (a whole....idk, 4 months lol). reverse don't grind, putting it into any gear feels like a hot knife through butter, it's incredible. I guess now i'll finally get to feel how the southbend clutch is supposed to be.

but, the bad news - the steering shaft didn't fix anything. The old shaft def needed replacing without a doubt. Once i had it in my hand i could see it was well past it's prime. So i don't feel so bad with the borgeson. I'll be ordering a new box and hoping for the best.

All in all i'm happy the truck moves again. I did notice the fuel leak at the IP is back, though i'm not sure and doubt it is the ONLY leak judging by the amount that was coming out under the truck the other day, but i'll trace that tomorrow as well. I also see some black fluid on my bellhousing...not sure if it's oil or if the fuel picked up some grime on the way down.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've never bled brakes either! lol I can handle "unbolt this" and "bolt that" i'm new at this fluid stuff lol. But good! Hopefully i bled the slave good enough, i made a gigantic mess all over myself in the process. I got everything connected now but left the pins out in case yall told me the drip wasn't good. I'll put em in an finish up tomorrow afternoon.

HUH?

Is it dripping with the PIN in if so it's NOT a GOOD THING at all...

Glad you got it all together and sounds like the new MC and that plate went a long way to making that truck so much better;Sweet

Hows the wheel feel now? Do you find the column has tightened up with that plate in place?

Sorry to hear that the new shaft does not rectify your steering woes..

New Red Head steering box is in the works I guess...

Annyway...your doing fantastic...glad it's comin together!:sly

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HUH?

Is it dripping with the PIN in if so it's NOT a GOOD THING at all...

Glad you got it all together and sounds like the new MC and that plate went a long way to making that truck so much better;Sweet

Hows the wheel feel now? Do you find the column has tightened up with that plate in place?

Sorry to hear that the new shaft does not rectify your steering woes..

New Red Head steering box is in the works I guess...

Annyway...your doing fantastic...glad it's comin together!:sly

It was only dripping when I had the line disconnected from the slave, and bleeding it into a bucket. I was expected a full flow of fluid coming out, but instead it was a steady drip drip drip. The steering column itself feels fantastic. The plate helped out more than I thought I had needed. the steering itself, I can grab the new shaft and twist it just the same as the old one so yeah i'm betting on a new box to totally fix it.

Thanks for the encouragement. One good thing that comes out of a vehicle that needs work all the time is you always end up with new tools! I ended up using the dremel to get the steering shaft a little better in length. I learned a lot, and i'm glad i didn't screw anything up. It helped me learn how the clutch system works a lot better than reading about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online