Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, the first time i checked the firewall i had a buddy watch it. he said no movement. after going crazy looking over it and not finding anything else, i checked it myself with a camera. sure enough, dropped the master today and it's pretty much just a hole. there aren't even anywhere to mount it back up now because it crumbled. Spent the better part of the day trying to fab up a temp fix before bringing it to a shop to make something. Still got some tinkering to do tomorrow, i suck at this kind of stuff lol Sure do wish the shop gave me a heads up prior to installing my new master last month :backoff

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the ford bracket as soon as I realized I needed something. Don't know if it's ACTUALLY in stock, but i ordered it.

The member who makes the bracket isn't currently making them. He has some life events he's tending to first, and will be back to production later this year.

Once I took the master off, there was no way of getting it back on without a new bracket so i'm making do with whatever I can frankenstein up from the garage with no welder. So far, I made an inner and outer bracket out of flat stock. The outer fits great, the inner needs a little more tweaking. No heat in the garage so i took a break for today. I also have another idea to try to combat the stress on on the firewall, but won't be getting into it until I see if it works or not haha.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, the first time i checked the firewall i had a buddy watch it. he said no movement. after going crazy looking over it and not finding anything else, i checked it myself with a camera. sure enough, dropped the master today and it's pretty much just a hole. there aren't even anywhere to mount it back up now because it crumbled. Spent the better part of the day trying to fab up a temp fix before bringing it to a shop to make something. Still got some tinkering to do tomorrow, i suck at this kind of stuff lol Sure do wish the shop gave me a heads up prior to installing my new master last month :backoff

Someone around here sells a super beefy bracket that fixes that problem. I don't remember who it is though. Towcat might know?

Ok so you got dreaded fire wall issues....

We got an app for that....

freebird01 is the guy with the part!

read this thoroughly

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...e-to-cracked-Firewall-Here-s-what-to-do-PART1

Any questions....feel free to ask...I think I have it almost completely covered in that link!

Al

PS... do not **** with that lil 14 dollar part...just not worth it...do it right do it once and be done for life!

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to steal the thread but.....What was the last year Ford used the T19? What year did Ford switch to a hydraulic clutch? Thanks.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I think I have it almost completely covered in that link!
Except for one minor thing --- you CAN'T GET that part! I didn't even bother posting that link, since the web site indicates the part is "coming soon".

Not trying to steal the thread but.....What was the last year Ford used the T19? What year did Ford switch to a hydraulic clutch? Thanks.
They introduced the ZF5 to replace the T19 in '87; don't remember if it was mid-year or for the full year. Not sure exactly when the hydraulics came out, but my wife's '83 F150 was mechanical, and the '85 is hydraulic.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ you got it. Like I already said, he's not making them anymore for a few months. do it once and be done is not an option.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welp..i think i done did it. I mounted up my brackets and slid the master in and the pushrod just fell right out. I was super careful with the whole stupid thing too. I pushed it back in for the hell of it and tried it out, pedal goes right to the floor and stays there.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure? How would air get in there with no leaks? I didn't disconnect it, just unbolted and hung it out of the way..

edit: or more importantly, how do I get the air out?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the pushrod pulls right out of the master on that vintage; at least it does on my '85. Once you hook it up to the arm it stays in place, though.

Latest thing you're describing sounds like the pushrod popped off the arm. The pin on your arm (see post #11) should have a hole in it for a little hitch pin clip, to keep the eyelet from slipping off. Do you have that clip in place? Also, do you have any bushing, brass or plastic or whatever, inside the eyelet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828