Alright...my turn

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I know there are no kinks in the line. I have the heater on it right now and turned it around (nose high) in the driveway. I am going to go start it in a few minutes and see what is up. I have to say though, I am pretty sure it is still pmping since the valve comver is leaking a bit. There has to be oil getting to the top so it has to be something else.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
40ish psi cold on startup. After I fix my return line, I am going to drive it and see if tht changes the psi.

SWS

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
40ish psi cold on startup. After I fix my return line, I am going to drive it and see if tht changes the psi.

SWS

That's a good number.;Sweet
When warm it'll drop some. At an idle you should see between 7-12 psi for oil pressure on a warm engine.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH....It sat for a day while I had the kids and momma was at work. Then, I went to start it yesterday. It was in the mid 30s so I was thinking things would be good. NOTHING. I had been running it just to get it set to drain properly int the back yard and to be facing the right way to plug it in when it gets REALLY cold. Anyway, IT WOULDN'T start. Cranked it and had to use starting fluid. Have the GPC unplugged and for some reason, it runs for a second but will not rev with the pump....Uh oh. I thought, now the pump is screwed up? What gives? Well, A PUMP is screwed up. There is nothing getting to the bulkhead. I even spun the filter down while the pump (for those who don't know, I have an electric lift pump) was running and NOTHING. I thought the filter was clogged when I had the schrader valved pressed but now I know. I will pull the line on it tommarah to see if there is a blockage for reasons unknown to man or if the pump is just screwed. I have another pump, but I think I am just going to put the mechanical one back on.............if I can find it...........it seems that I have created more problems for myslef when I do "upgrades" to the stock stuff. Maybe when I get ready for the whole rebuild, I will be good ta go.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Nevermind. It is shot.

I took it out today. I had to swap my liftpump out. As soon as I did that, It fired and ran. No fuel out of the schrader valve at the filter head though, no mind. I know it would still run. Fired it up and rolled out. Going down the highway, it was SOOO noisy, I could not believe it. It was really hammering hard. Then, I gave it throttle. Went from about 1/4 to 3/4 and it got quiet. No power at first, but as I put my foot lower to the floor, it picked up speed. Started missing, like it was running out of fuel so I have a strange feeling I need to get a real lift pump.

Not even the real problem. Got to about 60mph and it was missing hard. Let off of it and looked at the oil guage, "0". No P.S.I. I revved it up to see if that would work. No cigar. I think I need a new engine. Oh well...At least I still have my health. Anybody in the KC area have a line on a good one that does not need a rebuild (for under 1g)?

SWS

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Sure...9 mos later and I am still at it. Had the machine work done, new cam, ported heads and intake, new lifters, fixing some leaks in the ps system, welded in the front subframe, fixed the loosey goosey rag joint by welding in a u-joint, fixed the cab leak, and am in the process of building a cold air kit that will adapt to my supercharger when I can finally get that installed.

That being said, anyone know a place to get the bolt that holds down the back of the intake at the block? It has the square 3/8" shank (I think). I had mine in a SAFE place that it would not get lost and I can not remember where that place is.

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any wrecking yard and remember... These are "pocket parts"... Or I will sell you a brand new one for $10.00 plus shipping... I bought the last 11% ford had in stock just for this kinda issue. Ford no longer has them nor will attempt to get you one... Spare parts that are no longer made are good parts.....:sly

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I can only assume that there is not a matching drain plug or something I can use then?

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have a small lathe and are any good at using it you can make one. Its just the square hole in it you will need to drill first... Then file like crazy to size. Like I posted earlier. Any wrecking yard and its your for the work of removing it. I would go get one for you but I have too many now..... The good thing is your not in any hurry for it. Just don't leave it out. The pan will leak and water will leak into the motor. Another member forgot about this plug fastener and had a big mess. Another member finished his rebuild and test ran the motor. Sounded great.. Then saw the spring that holds the lifter dog bones in place sitting on the bench..:eek:. Had to remove the intake manifold anf injection pump to install that... Mistakes are easy to lok back on too.... Sometimes they are a hoot.....:sly:D Another thing you might try is find out what the threads are. If they are a national course sae thread just drilla a hole in a bolt after you grind or machine most of the hex off the he. Leave about 1/8 inch so you can get a socket to fit it...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I found a plug that fits. The drain/fill plug on the side of my M5R2 trans fit like a glove. I am sure I will find the correct one once I get it all together and running down the road. But, the fact that I could use the fill plug was great news.

SWS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is if ya use a standard plug, the motor will retain fluids.LOL

On top that is.

Of course I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the engines out there are running around with this drain plugged anyway.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Of course I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the engines out there are running around with this drain plugged anyway.

Yup.

Prolly got one in my fleet that has been neglected much needed maintenance.:rolleyes:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Burrrr...I just realized what you guys were saying. Mine was solid when I took it out so it TOO was pluged. None the less, I can drill out the center and one of the sides and have a drain.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Done did forgot to add to this. Located the plug in the OTHER sack that I had all of the pushrods, headbolts, and injectors. I knew I had it in one, but forgot there were two. I also used two (and in places they were worn through three) layers of heat shrink on the batt cables to cover them. Coming a long and good times are on the way. With the help of my baby momma, I will be putting the engine back in on monday.

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online