Air intrusion

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, if it'd been a horse I'd shot it.
I've fought this all day today, it started two weeks ago, i been out of town and couldn't work on it.
It started out surging, bad, so I replaced the fuel filter, and cleaned the bowl on my facet fuel pump. When i went to turn the pump on, and purge the system, i found out the solenoid that i had the pump wired to had gone bad. So then i replaced it by wiring up a relay.
Turned it on only to find out she was still surging......bad.

Today i replaced all my fuel lines, primed her, started her up.......still surging.......bad

So then i thought...well i guess the FTSV is bad, So i bypassed it, pulling directly from the front tank......still %#!$ing surging, so i hooked everything back up

Then i thought about the problems i had several years ago with the sending/pickup unit in the front tank, and i had gobbed jb weld around the tubes in the top to fix it, so i pulled it out and replaced it, still surging........bad

Then i thought...surely the pump ain't bad, i ain't had it but 2 years. So i put my Holley red back on...but didn't hook the fuel line to the filter assembly, so i could see if air was coming out/mixed in the fuel.

Very little

So i took the carrier/facet pump back in the garage and hooked it to a battery, and pumped fuel from one can to another to see if she was having trouble.

No issues at all, but the ***** on the pump only stayed half full.

Then i crawled back under the truck and i could see the FTSV was wet, i don't know if this is a sign of it going bad, and the Holley pumps so fast she doesn't care or what

What do you all think ?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
replace, or re-engineer the FSV.

sounds like thats your issue.
the direct bolt in swap is 300.
you can get the vato zone special for 60
or mechanical valves for like 100

if you go the later 2, you wuill have to do some wiring crap

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the fuel tank connecting thing ?
I remember years ago a guy in here posted his plans for it, but i never found out how it worked

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the fuel tank connecting thing ?
I remember years ago a guy in here posted his plans for it, but i never found out how it worked

Yes, I may have bookmarked it. I'll dig a little. I remember he posted pics and everything, but that was a year ago now and I'm not sure what forum.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, I'd appreciate that, I'm still sitting on the fence about whether to replace the FTSV, or connect the tanks.

A bonus would be not ever having to worry about the FTSV going out again, but mine had been on my truck for 23 years and just now having problems (top that dodge )

Or connect the tanks,and only run from the front tank while having the capacity of both of them......

Or keeping everything original

I was looking on Rock Auto, they have a factory replacement 5 pin FTSV, for around $50.00, but i dunno how long they last

Last edited:

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the FTSV is bad, rather than the Facet pump.

I bought it at a deal from that guy on here that was selling them.
If i had to replace it this soon.....well that would suck. Not to mention expensive as hell at full price. It's not very old at all, almost 2years old, but the way it's built, and so I've heard they're some of the toughest pumps out there. i don't see how it could suck air without noticeable leaking, or damage, or something on the outside that you could see were it was pulling in air.

Those of you that know, know it's a diaphragm pump, and completely sealed. Other than the filter *****.

So i can't see how it could pull air from the outside without being noticeable, if the diaphragm were to fail or go out, then it's pressure would fall off or just quite pumping all together

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems unlikely the pump is bad considering you saw the telltale wet FSV. I dealt with a bad one on my CC and now have one partially filling the rear while running the front on my SC. I solved it with manual selectors, but that solution is not for everyone.

I searched for a bit last night and I didn't have any luck, but I think you already get the idea. If I were doing it I would be dropping the tanks and cutting a hole and then welding a threaded adapter or barbed fitting onto the tank. I would use Gates Barricade or equivalent "rubber" diesel fuel rated hose (r-30+) to connect the two. You will have to figure out the ideal place for the fittings but seems pretty cut and dry. Cool thing is you can rip off that damn FSV and throw it in the river and remove the fuel lines for the rear tank.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will keep searching for the thread when I get a chance.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I'm thinking of trying to find a fitting like this
You must be registered for see images

As long as she has Teflon seals I'm thinking it would be ok, then running a 2 inch hose to link the two tanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the 90* you would need. http://www.grainger.com/product/ADAPT-ALL-Male-Metric-to-Male-JIC-WP57959/_/N-bicZ1z0ee2yZ1z0q7jj?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/16P956_AW01?$smthumb$

And something like this for the hose. http://www.grainger.com/product/EATON-Hose-Assembly-3F799?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3F795_AS01?$smthumb$

That size would be plenty big enough for flow from tank to tank. Just stick the fittings in the bottom of the tanks. Your fuel gauge would read what you have in each tank, like half in one and half in the other.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it will be helpful to crawl underneath and plan out your fitting placement. You will have to route under, through, or over the cross member that runs in front of the rear tank. I think there is a hole in it already, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, you have the skid plate back there. If you use the plate with the cutaway (driver side) you would avoid dealing with cutting the plate and you would already be in line with the front tank, copy? Should be a cool project. I know it's been done before and I know it is a pain in the ass, but if you have the time shoot some pics as you go along and type up some notes here so we can learn too! Good luck!

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure thing, I'm still sitting on the fence on which way to go......replace the FSV, or reroute.

But I'll definitely keep y'all posted

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, i deleted the front tank and installed a 33 gal rear tank, no stupid FSV to deal with anymore :D