Air in the fuel line after swapping to front tank

John Ennis

Reaction score
Iv'e had my truck for about a year now, just about to break 300k miles. 1993 7.3 iDi non-turbo with a 5 spd. Anyways, when I bought the truck the guy said that if you go to the front tank, it will run for a little bit, then start sucking air. I took his word for it and I only run out of the back tank. I've looked at a few parts that it could be, but do any of you have any thoughts on what it might be? My plan is to drop the tank, clean it out, change everything in it and any flex lines installed. I know that the tank selector valve was working fine, but I havent used it since I bought it. I've changed all the flex lines on top on the motor, from the pump up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Duke84

Reaction score
Iv'e had my truck for about a year now, just about to break 300k miles. 1993 7.3 iDi non-turbo with a 5 spd. Anyways, when I bought the truck the guy said that if you go to the front tank, it will run for a little bit, then start sucking air. I took his word for it and I only run out of the back tank. I've looked at a few parts that it could be, but do any of you have any thoughts on what it might be? My plan is to drop the tank, clean it out, change everything in it and any flex lines installed. I know that the tank selector valve was working fine, but I havent used it since I bought it. I've changed all the flex lines on top on the motor, from the pump up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Definitely check soft lines in tank if any and also where the lines connect to the sending unit and selector valve. I have had problems in the past of the fuel line end not sealing properly on gassers but that's usually not discovered until it leaks fuel since gas engines aren't so picky about air in fuel system.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres a shower head on these pick ups that crumbles over the years. Just replace it with some tubing to get the correct length.

Look for pinholes in the hard line too. If rusty, may need a whole new pickup.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't believe the condition of the lines inside the front tank on mine, when it was removed.

If I had tried to use the front tank, there is zero doubt mine would have been sucking air, as well. Even with an almost full tank.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
price a new tank, might not be worth cleaning a rusty old ****.
I think I paid 60-70$ for a new one from amazon

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't believe the condition of the lines inside the front tank on mine, when it was removed.

If I had tried to use the front tank, there is zero doubt mine would have been sucking air, as well. Even with an almost full tank.
Yes. Like this. The shower head isn't suppose to be sitting in there by itself..
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk