aint this a b--ch.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last saturday i bought 8 brandnew motorcraft beru glow plugs, boy truck couldnt have started any better. i would hit the button for 5 secs it wouldnt make 2 revs and she would fire wright off with no problems. drove the truck 3 times in 5 days and all 8 plug are shot. did a test on all of them (toasted), what could be causing them to burn out like this, this is the 3rd time i bought plugs for this thing in a years time. :mad: -cuss :puke: :shoot:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You say hit the button... this makes me think that you have a manual control on the system is this correct. It's very easy to burn out plugs with a manual control.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes its a manual set up, i wouldnt think 5 seconds would burn them out.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
your 5 seconds and my 5 seconds might be different.... If you lost one or two plugs I would say that you have some timing issue but with all 8 taking the big nap I vote they were turned on too long.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now when i say 5secs thats very short seconds. you said timing can cause them to go bad, because i just advanced the pump a little bit the same day i installed the plugs, and i suspected it was a little too far advanced.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
advanced timing can cause plugs to go south but it's not overnight, how far did you advance the timing? I would guess that you would have to advance the snot out of it to get results as quick as you did.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that your relay is sticking or maybe coming on when it shouldn't.

If all 8 are burned out, it's from the plugs staying on WAY too long.

I don't think it's timing. Advanced timing is ******* the plugs, but I can't see them burning out in just a few days from timing.

Pick up a set of Wellman / WAP dual coil glow plugs off eBay, they are more resistant to burn out (to a point). My GP relay sticks when it gets real cold and mine have been on for 30 seconds easy.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I knwo when I advanced the E to great extremes the plugs did not die a quick death and she was pinging something firerce for a couple of day while I was looking for more power...

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i got to the point that i just use my watch to time my gps. still burn them out though. i find 7 or 8 secs on then 4 secs off then another 4 secs on works good.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know ive never cylced them for no longer than 5secs, and all i had to do it was one time. the truck hasnt ran no longer than 30minutes since i installed them. since ive owned the truck the factory controller never worked , now i dont know if maybe its got a short in it and as the truck is running the glow plugs are still heating when they shouldnt.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
that's what happened on my truck, the controller turned on the plugs as i was cruising down the freeway. the GP light came on though. as far as i know the GP light is on the same circuit as the plugs themselves so if the plugs are on, the light is on. not like the newer setups where the light does its own thing.

my point is i think your GP light will come on if your plugs are firing, so you'd know if they were running when the werent supposed to. does it come on when you manually fire them?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glow plug light never came on while driving, only time it comes is when you manually push the button.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you are positive that all the automatic triggering stuff is unhooked from the system, and could not have somehow turned on the plugs, it is possible that you just got a dud batch of plugs.

Many, many years ago, when I knew absolutely nothing about glow-plugs, I was having to ether my truck to get it started.

I installed brand new relay, thermostat/controller, and all new plugs.

I just put in what the parts guy handed me, A-C glow-plugs.

From that day forward, for most of half-a-million miles, right up to the day I pulled the engine, last January, I NEVER had a hard-starting issue, NEVER; and, I never had to replace another glow-plug.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advanced timing eats the glow plugs from the outside in. They should still show continuity until the casing is too thin to contain the element, and a visual inspection would confirm they were knawed off.