AGGHHH!!!!

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I twisted the battery post right off!!!

That is, the battery post on my alt...

It seemed that it was all corroded with rust so I shot a little bit of power blaster on the post and let it sit for awhile, then i tried to wrench it off and it snapped off... -cuss

What can I do or am I doomed to buy another alt?

Help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any alternater repair shop will have that part. I bet they would bene install it for you. Not knowing what alternater you have leaves me with not much to say about how easy they ae to take apart. Your brushes might need replacing too. Its a simple job but you have to make sure the insolaters go back in all the correct locations. If not just one big flash and its replacement time.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what's the deal? Is the battery post just part of some larger and more expensive part?

Is it expensive but slightly cheaper than a reman? What would be a reasonable price and what are some of the online places to get parts?

I was hoping that fixing it would be a simple matter of replacing a bolt? Is that even possible? :confused:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what's the deal? Is the battery post just part of some larger and more expensive part?

Is it expensive but slightly cheaper than a reman? What would be a reasonable price and what are some of the online places to get parts?

I was hoping that fixing it would be a simple matter of replacing a bolt? Is that even possible? :confused:

If you are comfortable doing that type of work on your own, then I"m suggesting you take it apart and try fix it yourself or get a wrecker one and see if you can fix it and if not, then I suppose a replacement is in order!

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best way to learn whats involved is to find one in a wrecking yard and take it apart. From what I just found out its a simple bolt with a swuare end that sits in a depression on the diode bridge so it wont turn when you loosen or tighten the nut that snaped off outside. My suggestion was to have a shop open it up and see if it needed brushes or anything else. A brush pack is about $10.00 and it comes ready to install with the pin holding to brushes out of the way of the rotor. On my serpentine belt alt with the internal regulater that comes off with the brush pack. Then the 4 case bolts. Then open the case. If on your the windings needs to be removed just make sure all the insolaters are replaced correctly. You might be able to see the broken bolt without removing the easy to get out windings too but can't say from here.