aftermarket fueling

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Howdy y'all!

Just wonderin what was the most popular box/programmer/chip for the 7.3. we have a 2002 F-550 6 speed. the truck is great...it just needs more knut for hills and gettin outta the gravel bed. obviously i want power. Alot if possible :D thats just me tho! :rolleyes:

thanks guys ;)
best wishes,
Dom

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deezle1 said:
Howdy y'all!

Just wonderin what was the most popular box/programmer/chip for the 7.3. we have a 2002 F-550 6 speed. the truck is great...it just needs more knut for hills and gettin outta the gravel bed. obviously i want power. Alot if possible :D thats just me tho! :rolleyes:

thanks guys ;)
best wishes,
Dom

I've done a few, ridden in dozens and dealt with a lot of aftermarket companies. I think that Hypermax Engineering is the best in terms of all-out knowledge of the 7.3L and engineering concepts for upgrading the 7.3L. Give 'em a call & ask for Ron.

Their Hypermax 330 chip with a Hypermax downpipe & exhaust would be perfect for an F-550.

I'm sure there's sponsors here who sell excellent aftermarket performance equipment, too. I have lots of experience with Hypermax so I can honestly recommend them based on experience.

DBogo

Reaction score
not that anyone cares but another site im on a kid on there his dad owns hypermax

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Hey D, could u ask him how he likes it, what it does, and what it is? like programer/chip/DL'er etc?

Thanks Man,
Dom

P.S. Thanks Duke:)

Last edited:

DBogo

Reaction score
well his dad owns it so i am going to assume he will say he likes it i will ask him i havnt talked to him in a while but i will ask

imelmo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Diesel Innovations 6 pos. chip and couldn't be happier. It would be wise to upgrade exhaust, intake, and get gauges along with it though. I think the package is like $1300 for all of that.

I haven't dynoed it yet, but I ran a 15.40 at the track with just their 4 pos. chip (110hp) and w/o the fuel system upgrades in my sig. So it definately makes a difference!

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the diesel innovations stuff is great, but when you're talking 450/550, you need a different kind of power upgrade. This is because you're asking a 450/550 to haul heavy loads (4-5 tons) or tow heavy weights. Combine that with 4.88 gearing, and you have to be careful how much power you add.

Juding by Deezel1's needs, he'd be better off taking it easy on the truck. A wild chip could spell disaster hauling a big load uphill.

I think the diesel innovations equipment is more idealy suited for an empty or lightly laden pick-up where speed is more desireable.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the way I set my 450 up, I really had to overkill the intake with a Tymar, and overkill the exhaust/turbo with a H2E turbo and 4" custom downpipe, to insure my EGT's were low enough to still allow the truck to do a hard days' work.

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
actually the truck already has an intake and 4.5 inch exhaust on it. so im ready for some knut. I was looking at the edge programmer, forgot what it was called....no wait its the Evolution.

Dom

p.s. any experiance with that?

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Persnally I prefer Banks products as far as I have seen they are far superior to anything out there.

thetonka

Reaction score
You might want to give DP-Tuner a call. I believe he is a sponsor on here. He really knows his stuff when it comes to programming, though I have no idea if he deals with the 450/550.

I am very happy with the 80hp burn I got for my F350. More power, more mileage, smoother running, very little increase in EGTs. There is a lot of smoke but thats because I had to put off my exhaust upgrade. :D