1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubleshooting help

Discussion in '7.3L Powerstroke Diesels' started by snicklas, Sep 15, 2020.

1. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

Hey all, outta my comfort zone here and needing some help / confirmation....

I’m helping out a friend trying to troubleshoot an issue with a:

2001 F-350 7.3PSD, Auto, 2wd CC Dually

When we have gotten to, it appears the PCM is dead.... maybe....

We have checked all fuses, relays and the diode, all check good. We have chased power and have power. The OBDII Port is live and will power up a scanner. However, the scanner (I am using a BullyDog Tuner/Scanner that works with the 7.3/6.0 and I know that it works, it will scan my 6.0 fine) will only say to “Place ignition in RUN position”..... which it is. It has/had a TS Performance “Chip” in it (6 position, no idea what they do, the current owner has only had the truck a few months and it was already on there). The current owner has made the comment that “he has accidentally kicked the chip and knocked it out (running and not), but it runs ok without the chip”........ I have pulled the PCM out of the truck and opened it up. It is dry (is that an issue on the SD’s, or just an OBS problem?) and I don’t see or smell anything burnt. There are witness marks where the chip has been slid in and out and scratched up some of the IC’s in there. Currently the chip is not installed and troubleshooting has been done with it removed. It will turn over fine, good crainking speed. We have changed the CPS, just in case, no change. It will run on Cosby in a Can, but the PCM and Fuel Pump will not come online. The fuel pump is good, it has been disconnected and hot wired and will flow fuel (done for testing purposes).

Our current conclusion is a possible dead PCM. I don’t have another one around. Everyone I know has either IDI’s or 6.0 and newer. Everyone has gotten rid of their 7.3’s that I know..... Could the kicking the chip out have killed the PCM without any visible signs? Is there something else I am missing...... if it was an IDI I would have had it running days ago....... a bit out of my element here.......

2. trackspeeder

trackspeeder Stone crusher.

In a short answer. Yes, The chip has to be securely mounted. If it comes loose it can easily fry the PCM.

3. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

X2 on the fryed pcm seen it several times maby get one and try it if. It dont work return it

4. greenskeeper

greenskeeper Full Access Member

WTS light comes on ?

5. snicklas

This may sound stupid, but I haven't noticed.... I don't think so..... right now it's on a trailer, so most of the time we have just been reaching up and turning the key.

Where is the WTS on a 7.3 SD Dash? I've never driven a 7.3 SD... I have driven an OBS, and own a 6.0. but I know the dash layout is different.....

6. Philip1

Philip1 Supporting Member Supporting Member

20200917_154932.jpg wts is #26

snicklas likes this.
  7. snicklas

That is why I haven't noticed/seen it, I can't see that side from the ground.... I will look next time I am working on it... Thank you!!!!

It's not my truck, and isn't at my house to be worked on.. so I have to go to it......

8. Booyah45828

Booyah45828 Full Access Member

I know you said you've checked all fuses. But, on a lot of these I've seen the fuel heater go bad, blow the fuse, and then the truck won't start/pcm won't receive power.

So if you're not getting a wts or check engine light with key on, that fuse would be the first thing I would look at.

Frying the pcm is a possibility, especially if a tuner is being connected/disconnected while it's powered up. But I don't think I've ever seen a pcm fried so hard it wouldn't have some sort of communication without smelling bad when opened up.

greenskeeper likes this.
  9. greenskeeper

No WTS light = PCM not powering up.... either a fuse issue (most likely tied to the fuel heater) or a failed PCM.

10. greenskeeper

On my 99 the WTS light is on the right side of the cluster. That diagram looks wrong since the tach goes to 6k which is incorrect for a diesel. I know that the later SD 7.3s they change the cluster so maybe it is on the left side on an 01

11. Philip1

12. greenskeeper

13. Booyah45828

Booyah45828 Full Access Member

WTS will be on the right side of the cluster, to the right of the tach. The check engine light will be near there, but below the tach.

Being on a trailer, you might not see it with the steering column in the way.[​IMG]

14. Philip1

I stand corrected. Learn something new every day.