aftermarket air filter for the turbo trucks????

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll be the naysayer here, but I use K&N filters and like 'em. I've run one in my Jeep since I bought it with 169k on the clock and 40k miles later it doesn't seem to have any more indication of engine wear than the day I put it in. And that is 40k worth of hard miles too - a lot of it in really dirty, dusty, muddy, off-road situations. No change in oil consumption or any other indications of accelerated wear.

The second reason I like the K&N is that the performance increase was small but noticeable - both by the ol' butt-dyno and in gas mileage. Quicker acceleration AND 1-2 mpg are hard to argue with IMO. If you've ever played with the K&N display at the local auto parts store - the one with the ping pong ball and the interchangeable paper and K&N filters - it is pretty hard to say the K&N doesn't flow more air. As long as it is oiled and maintained, I believe that it will do as good or better of a job at filtration - even though the gauze is more porous than a paper filter because oil attracts and traps dirt. If you doubt that, look at the bottom of your engine and tranny!

Many people around here are too young to remember the old oil-bath filters that were standard equipment on a lot of cars years and years ago. They did a great job of filtering out the dust and dirt - but since they were messy and the dealership couldn't sell you a filter with a 1000% markup for them, they were phased out in favor of disposable paper filters by the auto manufacturers a long time ago. Was that because the paper filter was better, or was it because it was more convenient - and so that the dealerships could make a buck selling you a new filter every few thousand miles? Remember, the service & repair center is THE number one money maker in most dealerships, and way back then, the dealership was the #1 source for parts.

The third reason I'm sticking with the K&N for my truck is that it is what came in my Banks turbo kit. When it comes to what is best to use with their turbos - in terms of both airflow AND filtration, I lean pretty hard towards trusting Banks and their engineers. More so than opinions on the internet or advertising by K&N or their competition. No offense intended towards any one here or anywhere else. All of our opinions are equal here, but Banks engineers designed the system so I have to trust their judgement on this one.

The last thing I like about the K&N is that long-term, they save money. If your paper filter is $11, and the K&N is $80, and a $10 oiling kit will allow you to clean and recondition the K&N 8 times, for the $90 initial investment for the K&N and the oiling kit you'll break even after only 8 filter changes - or 48K miles if you're doing it every other oil change. From then on it is a couple of bucks to clean and re-oil the K&N every time - vs. the ongoing cost of $11 a pop for a new paper filter every time. The $9 difference every 6k miles over the 200k-400k life of one of these engines adds up to some serious coin - numbers don't lie....

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have used K/N air filters in almost every vehicle I've owned. Never had any problems and they DO increase mileage. Keep em clean and dont over oil it and you'll never have a problem. I have seen the paper filters sucked into the turbo on the factory turbo setup, not to say a K/N wont, but anything is possible.

slicknic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slick, its the filter for an early 90s Mustang with a 5.0L V8. NAPA still carries them. I don't remember the part # but I bought one on monday.
Thanks.

I was sandblasting my ATS airbox for powdercoat just now and noticed
that they have the part #'s for K&N and FRAM A/F's cast into the inside ;Sweet

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah after all that I forgot there was a question I wanted to ask.

Anybody know if there is a crossover for the Banks filter in the K&N catalog? Banks wants $56 + shipping for one and I have a buddy who's an authorized K&N reseller - he can get me a killer deal if I can figure out which one from the K&N catalog will work.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second reason I like the K&N is that the performance increase was small but noticeable - both by the ol' butt-dyno and in gas mileage. Quicker acceleration AND 1-2 mpg are hard to argue with IMO. If you've ever played with the K&N display at the local auto parts store - the one with the ping pong ball and the interchangeable paper and K&N filters - it is pretty hard to say the K&N doesn't flow more air. As long as it is oiled and maintained, I believe that it will do as good or better of a job at filtration - even though the gauze is more porous than a paper filter because oil attracts and traps dirt. If you doubt that, look at the bottom of your engine and tranny!

The third reason I'm sticking with the K&N for my truck is that it is what came in my Banks turbo kit. When it comes to what is best to use with their turbos - in terms of both airflow AND filtration, I lean pretty hard towards trusting Banks and their engineers. More so than opinions on the internet or advertising by K&N or their competition. No offense intended towards any one here or anywhere else. All of our opinions are equal here, but Banks engineers designed the system so I have to trust their judgement on this one.

its your truck,do what you want with it but i wouldnt believe a word from banks or K&N says, remember thier top priority is to make money.they will tell you what you want to hear.but we are useing products that are mainly designed,tested and made by US.we know what actually works and dont work.somebody over at TDS sent a bunch of air filters out to be tested and the K&N did not do well.IIRC a stock PSD air filter cleaned and flowed more air than the K&N.i will run no filter before i waste my money on one

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've have a lot of experience with K&N and other after market filters. I personally bought a aFe filter to be different, but ive read a lot about TrueFlow and their foam filters, they are very similar to the ones used on race buggies and dirt bikes. They flow more then the paper ones and the cotton ones, and supposedly have better dirt holding capacity and they filter better. But the filter that really interest me is the Powercore by Volant. It uses the same technology as the new Freightliners. But so far i love my aFe and have no signs of dust getting through it.

Just so you guys know, i work for a company that sells K&N and have personally dealt with the company. The filters are all tested and meet the requirements as stated by the manufacture. So even IF they do past more dust it is within spec.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying a K&N will trash your engine, but I've never heard of any trouble with paper filters being sucked in to the turbo or anything like that. Perhaps I just don't run enough boost for it to be a worry. 6 psi is my top ever. I've never really figured out how that filter minder gauge works but probably I should. How do you read it?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I've seen a filter get sucked into a detroit.

the gauge reads vacuum. most engine manuals have an allowable amount of vacuum in the filter. 10-15in is normally time to change, tho I've been getting 20 and more recently with brand new filters.

also with a turbo.... they are meant for pushing air. If they pull too hard it's rough on them, often pulling oil past a seal.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a K&N advocate also. I think paper versus re-usable oiled filter types are like Mac versus PC users. Mac and anti-K&N folks are almost zelot like in their distain for the other product, where as PC and K&N folks like it, know how to use it, and don't care if you Mac people don't like it. LOL I don't listen to the "K&N Hype", what I listen to are my oil sample reports, that come back with glowing reviews and my fuel milage and power is better than with a paper filter.

evictorwalli

Reaction score
I've had the same K&N Air filter in my hunting/wood/beach truck for at least 250,000 miles. Pulled it out every 6 month to a year, many time longer to clean it.

I doubt the old body will last (salt water plays hell with it) but have no doubt the engine will make 400,000+ miles. Engine is still strong and over the years I have replaced four injectors, the glowplugs, 1 water pump, and the IP pump. Don't think the air filter had anything to do with them needing replace.

In my mind K & N has proven itself and since it has worked out so well I will continue using K & N in both trucks and any new vehicle we have.

I normally trust manufacturers, of good and well-known standing, recommendations. What I don't trust is third and fourth party testimonials. A friend of a friend of Joe Blow’s neighbor’s cousin just doesn’t cut it with me.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Yes as DeepRoots said ..........I too can put a Brand NEW paper filter in my truck and rev the motor and the vacuum gage registers! It NEVER registers with a K&N! The truck is being starved for air if it is acutally pulling a vacuum in the air box upon acceleration. I also agree Jeeper........oil will stop and trap more dirt than just dry paper will. Have you ever shaken a shop vac filter out? Big clouds of dust fall off! Now what if there were oil in the mix? That dirt oil mixture will not just shake off i can tell you that!

I forgot to mention that the K&N filter i had last ran well for 80,000 miles it was the rubber seal that was starting to go bad not the filter itself. After it was replaced for FREE im running a K&N again.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
sold. I'm gonna find a k&n, wrap it in filter media and run on.

plus that damn ats airbox rattles and vibrates like a mother

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im surprised no one has mentioned it but the sound with the K&N or any after market filter is pretty justifying of the cost. Granted the sound is only on the inside of the truck, it still sounds pretty:thumbsup:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought for you guys seeing vacuum with new filters, are you running the factory air duct? When I got rid of mine it was a night and day difference.
Just a thought.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Just a thought for you guys seeing vacuum with new filters, are you running the factory air duct? When I got rid of mine it was a night and day difference.
Just a thought.

My factory air duct was one of the first things i got rid of so my experience in the previous posts were without that silly thing for sure.