aftermarket air filter for the turbo trucks????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well autozone is no longer selling air filters for the turbo IDI.i got lucky yesterday and got the last one in my area for free before they threw it in the dumpster.what are my options for when i need another one?wich will be in a few weeks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are sucessfull home brew arrangements that take standard cone or cylindrical air filters. Do a search on Moose Air, Godzilla Air, and I forget the others. Maybe somebody will chim in with them.

You must be registered for see images

Whit

Reaction score
NAPA 2790

round and a 4" flange to clamp too

IIRC its 10.5 long and 10.5 tall

Attachments

• filter1.jpg
    filter1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 34

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich I have two for the factory turbo NAPA part # 6317. Verify that this is correct for your truck and if so they're yours for very cheap. I thought that the ATS non gated turbo used the same one as the 92.5-94 factory turbo. They do not. I'll be glad to be rid of them and let them go to someone who can use them.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slick, its the filter for an early 90s Mustang with a 5.0L V8. NAPA still carries them. I don't remember the part # but I bought one on monday.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
K&N makes one and I'm on my second one. The first one lasted about 80,000 miles and the second one was free under warantee. Cost me bout $70 for the first one and i tried to clean it and reoil it every other oil change. I know they still make them (k&n) cause I just got my replacement last year.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the K&N is cleanable, or if not as he said it will replaced under warranty up to 1 million miles. I just don't neccessarily trust K&N air filters, too many whispers about grit sneaking by and bad things happening downstream. It may be also that I'm very very cheap. The paper ones are probably rel expensive over the long haul, but it sure hurts a lot less to shell out 11 bucks or less at one time than 80 bucks plus. The paper element is more than sufficient if replaced frequently, why fix what isn't broke?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
my problem is with the moose pump, 15psi boost and the stock ats 088 kit air box anytime I stomp on it the gauge reads 20in hg, with a brand new filter.
sooner or later I'll collapse the damn filter.
whats it cost to pick a shredded air filter outta a turbo/intake manifold?

I've used air handler filter wrap on k&n type filters... works well, just replace whenever you want to.
http://www.troyfilters.com/filter_media.htm
the blue stuff, works well, makes a filter last 10times as long

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the K&N filters dont flow enough air to be usefull on a turbo motor plus the fact that they let dirt and small particals through them and into the turbo.dont know about you guys but im not gonna take a chance on grenadeing a turbo for a filter that sucked when it came out and still sux today.