add a turbo at 200k?

jdubg23

Reaction score
i inherited my dads 85 f250 6.9 NA. it has been well maintained by both him and my grandfather who gave it to him before me... the motor runs good and seems to be strong. the heads came off at about 170 after the gasket blew. they were machined and reinstalled. other than that it has been rather lightly used, some towing not much. i mentioned a turbo to my dad (airplane mechanic) and he told me im an idiot and said ill kill the "family truck". i love wrenching on my vehicles, and im salivating over pics of ur guys turbos, can my old girl handle one and not fall apart on me?

jdubg23

Reaction score
the heads were just done like 20k ago, do you think they need gaskets again before a turbo?? ive read that replaceing the head bolts is a good idea... ?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the head bolts were reused.........you really need to replace them or add studs before you turbo it.

Even without the turbo, if the bolts were reused....the new gaskets will likely not last as long either.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well here is the thing.... if you turbo it, and you have a gasket leak, then you've not done any harm, as they usually leak externally. I'd say put it on and run it. The engine will actually last longer with a turbo because it will burn cleaner, develop less soot, have lower EGT's and because you'll be happier with a turbo, the "family truck" is likely to remain loved and keep getting good maintainance. The plusses outweigh the negatives if you ask me.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Well here is the thing.... if you turbo it, and you have a gasket leak, then you've not done any harm, as they usually leak externally. I'd say put it on and run it. The engine will actually last longer with a turbo because it will burn cleaner, develop less soot, have lower EGT's and because you'll be happier with a turbo, the "family truck" is likely to remain loved and keep getting good maintainance. The plusses outweigh the negatives if you ask me.

Gee, Mel, What were the negatives in your list?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
i mentioned a turbo to my dad (airplane mechanic) and he told me im an idiot and said ill kill the "family truck". i love wrenching on my vehicles, and im salivating over pics of ur guys turbos, can my old girl handle one and not fall apart on me?

A turbo is the best thing you could do for that ol' girl. I see no negatives whatsoever expecially where you've already had the head gaskets changed recently ;Sweet

Plus (with a turbo) if you have to pull a load up any sort of grade your father will thank you and feel bad for calling you an idiot ;p

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is in about the same situation as yours. I did head gaskets, reused heads and head bolts, not 3 months after I bought it, then drove it NA for about 34,000 miles like that and then added a turbo in late summer '07. That being said, Heath is probably right that the ideal thing to do would be to add studs, but so far I have seen no signs that the head gaskets on my mule leak. The main thing is be prepared that they MIGHT blow at some point in time and it would likely be an external coolant leak not a hydrolock or burn down situation unless you ignore it for a long time. Also you will almost assure yourself of having to do those gaskets again if you boost much over 12 psi on stock bolts, even new ones. I can live with that for now since most benefits come from 8-9 psi and less and all the boost begins to be wasted as superheated air around 13 psi unless you do something like water injection or an intercooler. Go for it, I say. Fix the things that are actually more likely to kill it, like the stupid glow plug system the 83-86 trucks have. They are far from reliable unless you use some sort of fancy electrical failsafe like agenem does in order to retain stock functionaility. Also...who's paying the bill for the turbo and who pays if something lets go...you or your dad? I hope I'm not insulting you frankly we have no idea if you are 15 or 30 unless you tell us.

jdubg23

Reaction score
ya, im 28... lol my dad bought his 08 f350 6.4 and i got the hand me down. i need to find a used kit cause my financial situation isnt the best

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright you're my age. I always respect my dad's opinions but I pay for my own stuff especially as regards my transportation so I get to do with it what I wish. I reckon your situation is similar. Just watch ebay for the used turbo kits and even the marketplace here. Typ4 also has a few deals here and there. I'm not sure of your fabrication or technical abilities but many things can be made to work if you really want to. Dt466 turbo, BW turbo from a General Mistake, and you should definitely look into xantusk's custom setup, looks sweet, real professional. I see you're in FL too, although I think Largo may not be real close to Gainesville.

jdubg23

Reaction score
main reason i raised my fathers comments in the discussion is because hes always my consultant when it comes to anything mechanical as he is an expert in aircraft engines... alot of things can be similar, but a whole different ballgame as far as the technologies go. if i were to swap out the head bolts would a head gasket change be required??? i am very mechanically inclined and have access to my dads aircraft shop so nothing is out of reach... also what are studs? different than head bolts?>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726