Adapting IDI Tach

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I found this in some place else, but can't contact the person who made so maybe some of You can give Me some help or tips.

I'd like to adapt the actual tach on My truck to the cummins engine, ours read from a gear and this person here drilled the gear case then tap it and put the IDI tach in it. Do You think it can read well from this?

Thank You.

Attachments

• 7_3L_IDI_Tachometer_pickup_installed_.jpg
    7_3L_IDI_Tachometer_pickup_installed_.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 44

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
no it is assentially a hall effect sensor, it picks up the field disturbance of the metal teeth as they go by. so if the spacing from the gear is right (probubly around 1/16) and the number of teeth are the same you should be good to go.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no it is assentially a hall effect sensor, it picks up the field disturbance of the metal teeth as they go by. so if the spacing from the gear is right (probubly around 1/16) and the number of teeth are the same you should be good to go.
you're right but he's got some math to do.
he's going to a setup that's missing two cyl. so the tooth count has to be adjusted for that.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
thats right forgot about the cylinders...

I don't think the numbers of cylnders matters, it just is reading the roating mass, doesn't matter how many cylnders are turning it.

Zek, I saw that pic shortly AFTER I killed my dowel pin and installed the motor, There was no way I was re-tearing into it to try that, but it looks like it makes sense. I would love to have tried it, especally using the stock tac sender.

I supposidly had everything I needed to make my stock tac work, gear sprocket on the harmonic balancer, and an aftermarket magnetic pickup with a cusotm bracket. I spent way too much time trying to get it to work and it never did. I gave up and installed an autometer diesel tac on the steerig column.

Thats about all I know,...:dunno

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I still have some time to try and contact the guy who did this. Btw the rest of His conversion is spotless Very nice. I will try and dig some more info and provably still do it if I don't find out for sure I also don't want to do the kdp mod and then not do the tach since it looks like it should work I don't think the guy did all this work on the entire engine for the swap and then have it not work.

I also like the way He tab the kdp (killer dowel pin).:thumbsup:

Attachments

• KDP_Killed.jpg
    KDP_Killed.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 62

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you are right Darrin, i thought of that after i posted but didn't get back to edit it. you would have to find out what the gear ratio is off the crank and such to see if it would work on the other engine. it is just measuring how many times a tooth trips the circuit and giving a corresponding reading for the tac. cylinder numbers not important.

sorry i must have been thinking of gassers.:eek:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Not yet, I'm trying to sell everything from the ford first and then remove the engine from the dodge so right now I'm mainly doing mods and upgrades on the engine.

I'm very tempted to do this tach adaptation but I'll see if I can test the gear with something else where I can regulate the rpms and see if the tach sensor can read it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
If I were you I would just install it and see if it works. It is easy to do if you have the motor out and if it works,... Great! if not you cut the wires and it is simply a plug in the casing.

I have to believe that if he did it that way it probablly works, especally since you can use the stock Ford sender.

Too bad you cant get ahold of him to find out for sure.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I know I thought the same thing, I've seen his entire conversion and it looks like some one who know what is doing so drilling the gear case for the ford sensor I think He tested it first or already knew it would work.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
finished

Well after long waiting and dealing with obstacles I got The tach sensor installed on the location I wanted and finalized the front cover installation.

A word of advice here for anyone attempting this mod or simply replacing the crank seal and gasket GIVE THEM THE ENGINE SERIAL # no matter if they say it is not necessary do it anyway that will save You a lot of grief. There is a special seal with the wear sleeve You need to install on some 6bt bc as You guessed they wear out and need a tighter fit than a new seal will give to a worn crankshaft. I was lucky and the manager at the Harrisburg cummins dealer gave Me a break after so much confusion.

Here are a few pics of the hole thing before and after done.

Attachments

• IMG_0016~1.JPG
    IMG_0016~1.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0017~1.JPG
    IMG_0017~1.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0018~1.JPG
    IMG_0018~1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0019~1.JPG
    IMG_0019~1.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0020~1.JPG
    IMG_0020~1.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0021~1.JPG
    IMG_0021~1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0022~1.JPG
    IMG_0022~1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 22

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Is that the right gear? It would look like the one above it is more like the ford? and by the way that tach sensor sure does look familiar?;SweetLOL