? about bypassing trans cooler in radiator

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does this thing cool the trans?? I am thinking about bypassing it because there is a persistent leak at the fitting. I already have the factory cooler behind the grille (big 1/2 tube in a "U" config. with fins, plus a full-flow cooler from a GM Suburban (aluminum 4x9x2" deep). Any experience/suggestions? I don't have a trans gauge. --Thanks for your help. --Andy

PS it is a 93 crew cab 4x4 IDI e4od. Just had the trans rebuilt.

Last edited:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have always bypassed the radiator trans cooler-with great success.But make sure you use a large aux cooler-bigger is better in this case.In my opinion a temp gauge is a must if you tow.
Mr Bill

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i bought my ambulance it had a Jasper trans in it. I bought it when it had 80K on it and have no idea on how long the trans was in there. Jasper requires that the factory trans cooler in the radiator is bypassed and the external tranny cooler be installed that ships with there transmissions.

Today my truck has slightly over 157k and the Jasper transmission is still going strong with no problems and I have towed a lot of weight with this truck. One load was about 15k that I towed from central NJ to the Adirondacks in NY. The truck itself weighs 10K empty.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a Jaspers trnas in my truck. I have been knowned to tow heavy and fast. About 15000 lbs loaded with horses to Sasck. Canada in 34 hours dtraight driving. Stops for diesel only. Done this several times. I have about 7 years on the trans and probably 140,000 miles without any trouble. I have seen the temp up around 220 degrees and will be going to BTS for his trans soon. Like posted by others, I don't use the radiator trans cooler because its not big enough plus Jaspers wont warranty their trans rebuilds if you run it. They give you a much better cooler. As OMB states. Bigger is better..:eek:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
A liquid to liquid cooler is far better at heat transfer than an air to liquid cooler. Reason that Jasper wants the old cooler out of the circuit is simply because when a trans fails it scatters poop all throughout the fluid system and they don't want that stuff getting in a newly rebuild system causing more damage.

The stock cooler works and it will keep the system under control but if you are towing I would have an AUX cooler like you described inconjuction with the stock liquid to liquid cooler - oldmisterbill ran a dual system that was parallaled not in series like most guys would think, he did this to keep the restriction low on the system. So if you want to go with all air cooled just keep in mind that you need to be much bigger than what's in the bottom of the rad because they just don't transfer heat as well.