A rookie is towing

OutofOrder

Reaction score
I'm heading out on a 10 day vacation down in Dixie and would like to haul my motorcycle with me. (I have a job interview while I'm down there so riding the bike is out of the question) Anyways, I have a 1997 Mercury sable that I wanted to hitch a small, open bed trailer up to and tow my bike. The bike weighs about 535 pounds and I'm driving approximately 600 miles from Ohio to South Carolina through the mountains. Anyone have an idea on the max tow capacity of my little car and any thoughts of it's ability to make it through the mountains?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am noo 100% sure but I THINK it is about 1000 lbs. We had a 88 Taurus Wagon and towed a small ~1500lb boat with it a couple of times. We also towed a 5x8 flat bed trailer with an IH Cub Cadet garden tractor on it and it had not problems. The Cub and a bike should weigh about the same ~900 to 1000 lbs. I would do a search on the internet and you should be able to find tow capacity. I think it should make it, just don't push it.........

On Edit: I went looking onlne and found the following: (From MSN Auto)

Mercury Sable GS Sedan 1250 lb Maximum Trailer Weight

Mercury Sable LS Sedan 1750 lb Maximum Trailer Weight

Last edited:

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how steep the mountains are there..... but I'd worry about the tranny. Depending on which one you have, Sables were not known for their trannies (assuming you have the 3.0L). I've heard if you have the 3.8L it was the better tranny.

Depending on the grade, I'd take it slow. Keep it out of OD if you can on the hills (so it won't hunt). If flat, might be okay. Watch you temp guage. If it were I, I prob would not go faster then 65 or 60 on the hills. Flats, I'd prob. push 70. Down hill, remember you have no brakes on the trailer. If you can, go 60 and if possible, take it out of OD so there is a little engine compression to help slow.

If your car is anything like my old car, then the tranny cooler is a joke.... or was it the power steering cooler I saw?:eek: Any now, if I recall, it's just a long tube that winds back and forth in front of the rad. (aside from the normal radiator cooling). If you want, you could add a tranny cooler to it. It should be under $35.00 or so I would think. Fairly simple, especially if the "factory" cooler is in front (should be just a matter of a hose clamp). If you have an actual cooler, even better.

Depending on when you go (ie outside temps), I'd take it slow. But that is me. Last thing you need is a busted tranny and on the side of the road.

Looking at the online stuff, 1250lbs seems to be the rating. I'm sure that the trailer is much lighter then the bike. But, don't forget to take into account any extra stuff you load INTO the car (ie passengers and luggage).

So your trip will actually be closer to 1200 miles total (round trip). It should be fine, but just keep an eye things. Bring some extra tranny fluid and check it everytime you fuel up (for color and smell). Before you leave, you might want to have the fluid changed in the tranny.....

OutofOrder

Reaction score
I've had my car for three years and have yet to change the tranny fluid. I check it regularly and it's still a light red color and doesn't smell burnt in the least bit. I'm not planning on setting any speed records on my trip. Didn't plan on going over 60mph on the flats and as for the hills, whatever gets me over them. So you would recommend shifting from over drive to drive before starting a climb up a hill? I'm taking Interstate 77 all the way to South Carolina. The part I'm worried most about is West Virginia. From what I've read, the sable has an auxillary transmission cooler. When my tranny starts to heat up, will the temperature increase show up on my dash board gauge?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not necessarily.... dash gauge is water.. and the only increase there will be if the tranny lines run through the radiator, and increase the water temps drastically.

Which, honestly, you are not going to realize on the Ford Gauge..

You could install a tranny temp gauge, and then find out what Ideal temps are,and watch your new gauge, drive accordingly.

I would just install the largest cooler you can buy/fit/afford, and run it.
hit the O/D button, shift down one notch, (whichever it is to stay out of O/D)at the base of the hill, stay out of O/D on the back side, and roll happily.

Or sell the Sable, buy a cheap Toyota/Datsun/isuzu p'up.. stuff motorcycle in the back.. and be happy...? (all 3 were offered with diesels.. and all three were insanely relaible gas or diesel)

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 91 Sable go me through college. Was bought used w/ 16K miles and now it has about 169K. Tranny oil changed only once. Never towed w/ it, but it spent 4 years going 400 miles round trip to college and home just about every other weekend. And I usually had 3 or 4 people bumming a ride along w/ their stuff. Head gasket went long before any issue w/ the tranny (3.8L engine). :D I still have it.... Would I tow w/ my Sable? I would..... but I know my car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle