Second Update
Third Update
Fourth Update
Fifth Update
Sixth Update
Seventh Update
Eighth Update
Ninth Update

The progress has been slow the last two months. My partner has been out of town a lot and when he's gone, I have to stay in town and hold down the fort. The truck is about a 25 mile drive from me (at Dad's shop), so I've missed a lot of time on the project. But, I have gotten some things done, and wanted to update progress.

I decided to move the raditor 1.5 inches toward the engine in order to have the room needed for my '99-'03 PSD intercooler. The rear of the support was cut off, a two inch band of 1/8 inch steel was welded on and the rear of the support was welded back in place. The radiator support pins were also moved to the rear. 1.5 rectangular tubing will serve as a spacer for the upper radiator mounts. It's not done but close.

Prior to modification:
You must be registered for see images

Rear of support cut off:

Two inch wide (1/8 thick) steel band used to widen the radiator support:

The pins were moved and the 1.5 thick rectangular tubing used to make upper rad mount spacers:

More to follow:

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No better time to replace the old leaking steering box with a rebuild unit.

Moose injectors with EDM'ed nozzles:

Moose pump...... Accept no substitues!:

For those of you who are thinking about using an inline injection pump on you IDI..... here is a side by side compairsion between the Moosed DB2 and the Hypermax modified 6 cylinder P-pump. Now, imagine how much larger the 8 cylinder version is.

More to Follow:

Heath

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that support looks real clean rust wise, impressive, nice ingenuity on widening the support.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not clear why you added the metal to the bottom. I understand the need for moving the pins but not the bottom addition. Are you installing the intercooler between the rad and the ac condenser like several other brand rigs do.. Remember to cut down the top and bottom rad hoses too.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, just curious ...since the saginaw van V belt bracket is not too difficult to find, why not throw a saginaw pump on?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the old U-joints in the rear driveshaft with new Dana/Spicer units. The part numbers are 5-1203X for the middle joint (1.062 caps), and 5-1204X for the front and rear joint (two 1.062 caps and two 1.125 caps).

Here is my Rodney Red radiator. 17 fins/inch (my stock rad is 14)! She's a beut for sure:

That's it for now. Will post up more on the intercooler and whatever else is still not done when I get some time to work.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath, just curious ...since the saginaw van V belt bracket is not too difficult to find, why not throw a saginaw pump on?

My thoughts exactly. Then your way ahead of the curve when you upgrade to a hydroboost brake system. The hydro doubles the line brakeing pressure to around 2200 lbs. You make things look so easy with the front clip off the truck. Just walk up to the engine and work on it...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that support looks real clean rust wise, impressive, nice ingenuity on widening the support.
She's a rust free Southern California girl. Not a spot of rust on that support. Gonna paint it once I'm done with all the mods so it will stay that way.LOL

I'm not clear why you added the metal to the bottom. I understand the need for moving the pins but not the bottom addition. Are you installing the intercooler between the rad and the ac condenser like several other brand rigs do.. Remember to cut down the top and bottom rad hoses too.
The bottom radiator tank will interfer with the rear of the support if it isn't widend as well. Just cutting off the back isn't a great plan as that adds strengh/bracing for the three pieces of metal spot welded together at the factory to make the support. Hoping to put the A/C condensor out front, but we'll see.

Not got a bracket at this time or a pump for that matter. LOL I've got so much to get done and little time to do it. Wife wanted to be camping last month! Plus, I'm going to add an on board air compressor via a modified York and will need to play with all those brackets again down the road (maybe this winter). I might hydroboost it then with a saggy pump.

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics Heath! Gonna be referencing this post often I think. LOL On that inline pump..... couldn't you just pound down the valley pan a little to make room for that? LOL

Gonna need a hood scoop for sure!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
You mean to tell me you're not done yet???:dunno

Yeah I'm gonna be on ya like a dirty diaper buddy!;Poke

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean to tell me you're not done yet???:dunno

Yeah I'm gonna be on ya like a dirty diaper buddy!;Poke

:backoff:backoff:backoff

I've been shoulder deep in "dirty work" for the better part of 2 months. I feel like I'm drowning in *** sometimes! Need the pace to slow a bit so I can get the old 6.9 crew cab back on the road!

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

I've been shoulder deep in "dirty work" for the better part of 2 months. I feel like I'm drowning in *** sometimes! Need the pace to slow a bit so I can get the old 6.9 crew cab back on the road!

Heath

I really don't want to know what a bad day at work is like Heath....:eek: But a good day at work... Hmmm... Can I "ride along" like a kadet in a police cars has to do:sly:hail:love::thumbsup:
Your build will be something talked about around the rally campfire thats for sure. Driving a "new" engine is really going to show you plenty. Moose pump... Moose injectors... Typ4 cam... A properly drilled flywheel... Balanced... Milled is all the right places.. Gees... It almost sounds ****** talking about it... I can just see the print now... Either Dream Penhouse or Dream Diesel Power Mag....:angel::D:sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

Heath

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but in the words of ****** girl....."That's nasty!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online