Crew Cab 6.9 Rebuild Update with Photos...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I got all my crap from the Machine Shop and Balancer on Wednesday the 23rd. I spent most of the rest of the week and weekend deer hunting, so not much was done. But, I did get some photos loaded.

I've got several of the mods made to balance the rotating assembly......... notably the South Bend Clutch SMF.

ENJOY!!!;SweetLOL

The Heads:
You must be registered for see images

The Cam (before it goes to Russ for a regrind):

The Block:

This was the side with the warped deck. 7 thousands was taken off to correct it. The other side was decked the same to match the deck heights.

Top of the Block:

Bottom of the Block:

Old Pistons...... most with burnt crowns and a few with skirt damage:

Burnt Crown:

Embedded glow plug vs. other material:

Skirt Damage:

More to follow:;Sweet

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New piston with wrist pin 10 thousands higher on the skirt to compensate for the decking of the block.

The pistons were balanced as well. They were all very close in weight and not much was needed to get them equal. The mods are subtle so look closely.:D

The crankshaft was balanced as well. The counter weights were drilled to get it all balanced out for a smooth, long running IDI.

Rear of crank:

Front of crank:

There you have it so far.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this..... one of the guys at the machine shop has a complete ZF conversion kit for sale.....$300. It's a 2x4 diesel ZF5, pedal assembly, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, master and slave cylinder and even the drive shaft. It's a great price so I thought I'd post it up if anyone is interested in it.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those are some great pictures Heath... Glad to look at them. That pressure plate needing the balance area drilled is suspect to me but... I see no problem with what they did. No problem with a weak area on the wheel either. You can probably install everything but the cam and lifters but its so much easier being able to reach up under the block to support the cam as it goes thru the bearings. The last two are the most diffucult to handle...

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pictures! It's going to be really interesting to see how smooth that engine runs when it's back together. Someone I know went through their 1.6l VW diesel engine with the same amount of care and the results are impressive.

Did the machinist bore each cylinder to match its piston, and what clearance are you running between piston & bore?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are some great pictures Heath... Glad to look at them. That pressure plate needing the balance area drilled is suspect to me but... I see no problem with what they did. No problem with a weak area on the wheel either. You can probably install everything but the cam and lifters but its so much easier being able to reach up under the block to support the cam as it goes thru the bearings. The last two are the most diffucult to handle...
Yeah, I'm going to wait until I get the cam back before throwing anything else in the block. I really want to be careful with the new cam bearings and it's much easier to install the cam without scuffing the bearing when you can use both hands. LOL

Thanks for posting the pictures! It's going to be really interesting to see how smooth that engine runs when it's back together. Someone I know went through their 1.6l VW diesel engine with the same amount of care and the results are impressive.

Did the machinist bore each cylinder to match its piston, and what clearance are you running between piston & bore?
The balancer was really talking up how much of a difference it will make. I hope he is right. The cylinders were honed only. They were within spec and didn't need an overbore. So, obviously, the pistons are standard size as well. Don't know the piston to bore clearance, not tryed them in there yet.

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are going to be amazed how smooth that will run up in the whole rpm range, I have balanced every one of these I have built, near 100, and if the customer doesnt want it balanced I dont do the job usually I just include it in the quote.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are going to be amazed how smooth that will run up in the whole rpm range, I have balanced every one of these I have built, near 100, and if the customer doesnt want it balanced I dont do the job usually I just include it in the quote.

I certainly hope so Russ. With the bad injectors, the out of whack SMF, and a bad headgasket, she was a little on the shakey side to say the least.:D I can't wait to get it done and give it a try. But, gonna take a bit as I only get to play with it on the weekends (and only if work leaves me alone then) and I've got to get a few more parts (IP, injectors --> Moose, and a Rodney Red).

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath.. With the machining of 7 thous off each bank of cylinders it might be a good idea to fit the intake manifold on the block and heads without a gasket. Just to check the fitment. If the angles are off you may end up maching the intake manifold to fit.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It looks very nice, I wish I had the knowledge to do a full rebuild.
All I can say is ;Sweet

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Heath,

You can believe what Russ said about the smoothness of the engines after they are balanced. I had it done to my 6.9 and it drives like a v12 gasser. It is that smooth. And you don't lose the fun rattle and cackle when making a cold start.

Have fun!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It looks very nice, I wish I had the knowledge to do a full rebuild.
All I can say is ;Sweet

You don't need too much knowledge, the parts only go together one way, and if you end up with spare parts, you get to do it again. Everything else is done by the machine shop. Or found here in posts.