1994 Crew Cab F350, 7.3L IDI, Factory Turbo, Front Brakes: remove & replace calipers + rotor / hub assembly

DaveC

Reaction score
Hi all. So one of my front brake calipers started sticking, and by the time I got in there to take a look, one pad has worn completely away, and the backing plate ground the rotor about all the way through to the interior cooling fins, so I gotta fix this ASAP. I have a couple of questions before jacking the front end up and pulling everything apart:

1) I've read conflicting information; some claim that there may be as many as three different versions of the front axle / hub / rotor / brake parts for this model year F350. I've heard that the IDI with factory turbo used upgraded drive train parts compared to the non-turbo IDI, and that the PowerStroke parts were different still. My understanding is that all three configurations were available in the 1994 model year. Anyway, I'm having trouble knowing for certain, whether the guys at the auto parts store are getting me the right replacement rotors / pads / calipers. Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations / information, please, about this. When I looked today through the drawings and part lists with the guy at the ford garage parts counter, it looked as though there was in fact only one version of the front axle. Or so it seemed to us then. Anyway, I'd really like to have the right parts on hand, when I begin the job, etc.

2) From what I read, it seems that after you get the (manual in my case) locking hubs out, that then you unscrew the big special nuts that retain and preload the wheel bearings, and then the hub + brake rotor comes off as one assembly, and that then you have to pound the lug nut studs out of the hub to get the rotor off. Or, in another place that I've read, the rotor is described as attached to the hub by screws. Can anyone give me a sense of what to expect, once I begin pulling the assembly apart? How difficult is it to separate the failed rotor from the rest of the assembly? Do I need to make sure to have new studs on hand also, to reassemble with?

3) Any other suggestions from anybody, as I head into this for the first time? I love this truck, but I just got it a couple of years ago, and haven't serviced its front brakes yet. I did last have a 1993 4x4 Ranger, whose front brake assembly I did pull apart and service, and the overall concept seems to be mostly the same...

Anyway thanks for any advice!

--dave

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's 4WD F350, pretty sure it's got a Dana 60 in the front. Should only be one option for brakes on a D60 front axle. Others with more expertise will chime in, but I think you'll have more of an issue with finding somebody who stocks the rotors and calipers locally, but I think you'll be OK.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
From what I've seen it looks like the same caliper is used on the diesel f250 and f350, both 2wd and 4wd, at least to me they looked identical. The rotors are different due to the different hubs, but it looks like the friction surface of the rotor is the same dimensions.

Usually what causes the calipers to start to stick would be the pistons not retracting properly, poor quality caliper.

Back when my old man had his white f250 4x4 we went through 3 calipers within 6 months before we finally got one that was decent.

DaveC

Reaction score
Okay thanks everyone so far for the replies here. Got the truck torn apart now and trying to get through everything. Well it looks like ball joints and u-joints too, while I am at it; ACK! Well I love this old truck though, so this is what it takes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online