A Night Moose Christmas

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This past tuesday my company had their Christmas party, which was over at 3pm. My family and I had another Christmas party to go to at 6pm, and so aside from the 1 hour drive home, I thought I'd use an hour to wrap Christmas presents. I'd be home alone, because Graham and the wife were in Lancaster at school, and would just go from there to the party, and Matthias was home from college visiting friends in the Night Moose. Well back around Thanksgiving, the Night Moose spit an alternator belt out, and he replaced it. Of course the power steering belt had to come off to do that, and so when I checked out the repair, I noticed that he had that power steering belt pretty damn tight. But I thought to myself, well.... if he takes out a bearing, it will teach him not to tighten stuff so much. So, as I'm leaving the parking lot at the first Christmas party, I get a phone call. "Dad, I'm driving down the road and all of the sudden my steering got stiff, and I looked in the mirror and saw something roll into someones front yard.". Long story short, the crankshaft pulley sheared between the 2nd and 3rd V belt groves! A combination of too tight a belt and a very rusty 26 year old pulley just proved too much for the ol' Night Moose. So, I went home, grabbed a pulley off the spare motor, and took it to Lancaster. Matthias did the repair in the rain, in front of a friends house. A fitting thing to have happen to a Materials Engineering major. ;Sweet He's learning well, and to date, to the best of my knowledge, he is the ONLY person in this community to have sheared off the parts that bolt onto EACH end of the crankshaft. :rolleyes:

We were 45 minutes late to the second Christmas party, but they hadn't even ordered yet, so it was cool. :) I still need to wrap my presents.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
You sound like a great Dad! Letting him figure things out for himself is awesome.

I usually try to talk to my boy about such things, but I just get a blank stare most of the time... getting him to believe in preventative maintenance is going to take him getting a costly repair bill.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! Matthias has had some weird failures on his IDI. Those are not "swap" related problems either. They could have happend in any factory IDI truck. Those lessions, though painful, will be forever burned into his brain. Something he will always remember and use to his benefit in the future.

I've never seen or heard of a pulley failure. WOW! Again, that's about all I can say.:eek::D

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO THE AGNE FAMILY!!!

Heath

Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
This past tuesday my company had their Christmas party, which was over at 3pm. My family and I had another Christmas party to go to at 6pm, and so aside from the 1 hour drive home, I thought I'd use an hour to wrap Christmas presents. I'd be home alone, because Graham and the wife were in Lancaster at school, and would just go from there to the party, and Matthias was home from college visiting friends in the Night Moose. Well back around Thanksgiving, the Night Moose spit an alternator belt out, and he replaced it. Of course the power steering belt had to come off to do that, and so when I checked out the repair, I noticed that he had that power steering belt pretty damn tight. But I thought to myself, well.... if he takes out a bearing, it will teach him not to tighten stuff so much. So, as I'm leaving the parking lot at the first Christmas party, I get a phone call. "Dad, I'm driving down the road and all of the sudden my steering got stiff, and I looked in the mirror and saw something roll into someones front yard.". Long story short, the crankshaft pulley sheared between the 2nd and 3rd V belt groves! A combination of too tight a belt and a very rusty 26 year old pulley just proved too much for the ol' Night Moose. So, I went home, grabbed a pulley off the spare motor, and took it to Lancaster. Matthias did the repair in the rain, in front of a friends house. A fitting thing to have happen to a Materials Engineering major. ;Sweet He's learning well, and to date, to the best of my knowledge, he is the ONLY person in this community to have sheared off the parts that bolt onto EACH end of the crankshaft. :rolleyes:

We were 45 minutes late to the second Christmas party, but they hadn't even ordered yet, so it was cool. :) I still need to wrap my presents.

Holy crap, quite a distinction!

Merry Christmas to you and yours! ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I told Matthias that he needs to make sure and bring the pieces for our viewing pleasure at next years rally to be added into the museum of mystery and mayhem. :D

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. He sheared all the bolts on his flywheel last year. :rolleyes:

Yes, the pulley (both pieces) will be on display as part of the "Moose Museum of Mayhem" appearing at the 2012 IDI Weekend. LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. He sheared all the bolts on his flywheel last year. :rolleyes:

Yes, the pulley (both pieces) will be on display as part of the "Moose Museum of Mayhem" appearing at the 2012 IDI Weekend. LOL

I'll bring Rob's grenaded C6 torque converter and whatever other failures I have that may be interesting.:D

Heath

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
LOL Wow. I know when I was in HS I did some stuff with my 79 Camaro that I later regretted, and my dad told me when I did it to maybe rethink what I was doing. Nope! I was too smart and I knew he was wrong. LOL, boy did I learn my lesson. One of those dumb "I'm right" moments cost me a TH350.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he needs a wall of fail. my yoder buddy works in his carport with the back wall falling in and every failed part goes on the failing wall we had some bad stuff my favorite was water ran down the wiring harness from the cowel to the motor we pulled apart the whole harness cleaned it and all and finally got to the dizzy and the plug was disconnected internally. we all been there mel but your son has a list of him only things maybe its time for a dt360? or a mack?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well since he usually looks to me to help bail him out, I'd prefer he stick to things I actually have parts for. LOL As it is, I've turned to the community for a replacement pulley to restore my spare motor, and dieselpulleycatcher is coming to the rescue. ;)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel as much as I hate working in the rain, I have to laugh, who would have ever thought a pulley would be cut by a belt.
now if he was done in school he probably could have calculated the amount of miles the reaminin thickness would have provided at various speeds and belt tensions.. or is that a little long haired even for our group.????

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
N/A motor my ass Mel :rotflmao: You decompressed that thing and threw a big turbo, super moose, and moose misters on it, didntcha? ;Really And apparently the weakness on this motor is not the head gaskets, but the pulleys.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online