A little fun with a Dmax

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
yeah, low ent torque at low revs is a good thing to have.....IIRC my dyno torque curve peaked at 2000, and flattened out ....gotta love the diesel's torque rise

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
ok, so i made a miistake..... good looking curve though, good torque thru most of the rev range.
the main reason tq starts so high is that in order to keep an auto from dshifting you need to slowly bring it past the point of shifting to the next lower geat at WOT...and without a tech 2 to command the trans to hold 4th gear at low rpms this is the result.... otherwise tq should be strong at 1500 and peak at 2200.
sometimes a 6 speed would be better, at least on the dyno :(

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Juice, Real nice #s! as light as those Chevys are that thing has got to be a handfull! What is the redline on the D-max?

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Morepower02. How do you like the Garrett ball bearing turbo? My guru wants me to try one. I don't know of a Dodge thats running one. For $2200 the durability thing has got me a little worried. It must spool like a ******

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Originally posted by jarhead
Juice, Real nice #s! as light as those Chevys are that thing has got to be a handfull! What is the redline on the D-max?

LIGHT? shoot i wish... at the scales in mission with 1/2 tank of diesel it weighed in at a very porky 7350lbs W/O driver!
4x4 long box EXTCab loaded

Redline is 3200, but at the end of that run my allison started to slip so i backed out of the throttle slightly...... and BillK from DTT was on hand to congratulate me and offer his services to me as a beta tester for their version of the ultimate allison trans which we are testing right now.
At BD DDays i could only manage a non-slipping 2500 rpm run (446 RWHP) and then the trans would slip to redline while staying at the same speed.
Keep in mind these numbers were with a 4"exhaust, K&N filter (headlight removed) stock injectors, stock sticks and stock turbo.
When we get the tranny sorted out the next project will be paralell twins or a single Ball Bearing turbo....i am so overfuelled the smoke will not clean up at any rpm...not as much as a 12valve cummins mind you, but nothing a 200 shot of N2O (someone elses estimate not mine) couldn't cure. Piers figures with a larger charger i could add another 50 hp to that figure.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jarhead. I got mine thru Bob Riley at dieselsite.com for 1500.00 Bob still has the site but is employed by Piers. The turbo spools very fast and lowered the temps, BUT up around 30-36 lbs it barks pretty bad:rolleyes: If I leave the wastgate hooked up it does not bark. Their is rumor of a 40 or 42 Garett BB voming out. I heard that Bob has a fix for the bark, not sure what it is though.

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Stock turbo, stock injectors! It looks like your on your way to some SERIOUS #s! Thats unreal, I don't know much about the V-8s but they are hi tech. Be careful with the juice, I know with the dodges you have to O-ring and stud the head to keep the head gasket happy. Anyone who tells you a little juice ain't gonna hurt nothing... I got some parts id like to show them.

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Stock turbo, stock injectors! It looks like your on your way to some SERIOUS #s! Thats unreal, I don't know much about the V-8s but they are hi tech. Be careful with the juice, I know with the dodges you have to O-ring and stud the head to keep the head gasket happy. Anyone who tells you a little juice ain't gonna hurt nothing... I got some parts id like to show them.

LOL...no **** i have seen a vid where a dmx hit N2O at the start line (no purge on the solenoids?) and blew his motor up... brutal

That is why i made a promise to myself to stop at 600 ish RWHP
then i am done (i think)

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Morepower, What is the max safe boost for that turbo? And does it surge a 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. That puppy sounds like it has a real aggressive map.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor will be tore down soon and recieve the treatment!;) Then its time for head porting, cam and injectors:D

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Juice, you need a bigger charger for sure. From were your at know 600 is a walk in the park. The other mod I did that cleaned up some smoke, lowered egt's and brought the power on 400 rpm sooner was the cam.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jarhead, their is no surge or stall like the stocker head. Just a bark at WOT shifts and when letting off of WOT. Garret says 40 psi max.

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Juice, you need a bigger charger for sure. From were your at know 600 is a walk in the park. The other mod I did that cleaned up some smoke, lowered egt's and brought the power on 400 rpm sooner was the cam.

So far nobody has a replacement bolt in turbo though...... that is just sad.
0-60MPH in 1500F i kid you not at full stack..... if you look at the GM thread "a wee bit of smoke" that is my DMX there.... and that is as clean as it gets. if you crank the volume you will even hear the turbo barking like crazy even though i was easing out of the throttle and my wastegate is working fine.... i guess i am just brutally overfuelled and might have to source and fab my own turbo :(

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Juice, nobody makes a turbo for the dmax? That sucks! I know all about hi temps, I used to peg my 1600 deg. pyro back to the 8 O clock position ( about 2000 deg.) With my set up now I just hit 1500 deg. at 120mph. I'm sure you know, those temps will put nice little cracks in your head. I had 12 of them, around the exhaust valves, and some around the injector holes. I would'nt go any further until you can get more air in that motor.

Morepower, the turbo I run now does the same thing. Its got a real aggressive comp. wheel in it and you have to get out of the throttle real slow. At 1/2 throttle it trys to push more air in the motor than the motor can take (surge). On the plus side it goes from 10 to 50lbs of boost in the blink of an eye. And its rated for 55lbs.