97 F250 gearing and power ???

supercab79

Reaction score
My 97 F250 4x4 auto 3:55 crew cab SB is not as impressive as I thought it would be with the new 5th wheel on it. It is running at max weight at 11,000 for the camper and about 6500 for the truck. I have the Banks stinger plus set up on it and it runs good but runs high EGT's any time it's in OD even at highway speeds Banks says it's not heard of any problems with this set up the truck runs around 950 degrees with the probe after the turbo in the down pipe. and if it shifts into OD right up in the 1000's.

I was looking at changing the gears to 4:10's to help keep the RPM's a little higher which seems to keep the truck happy and the EGT's a little lower. The inner cooler is alot of $$$ and alot of cutting the rad support apart I don't really like the looks of that.

It is a substantial increase per Ford the GCVW is 16,000 with 3:55's and it jumps to 20,000 with 4:10's

Has anyone made the change from 3:55's to 4:10's and how was the outcome?

Thanks Marc

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
That would almost certainly help you out a little. I had 4.10's in my 90 IDI and sometime I think it could have beat my 3.73 super duty off the line. Lower gears=better towing.
Ken

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Towing? go with the 4.10's my new truck has 3.55's and like you towing in OD in not an option. My IDI has 4.10's and I really like those for towing.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
supercab79 said:
Has anyone made the change from 3:55's to 4:10's and how was the outcome?

Thanks Marc

More useable power, shorter distances between fuel stops.

supercab79

Reaction score
I have a 93 IDI with the Banks sidewinder and love love love it! But the old IDI's make all there power down low. And driving that truck for the last 12 years has spoiled me with low rmp power and 4:10 OD towing with NO problems at all.

Now for the 97 I learned very quickly that boost=higher rpms=lower EGT's and the motor likes the higher r's to be more efficient. However driving in 3rd for 2 to 3 hours is not an option. The 4:10's after some research will really help put the engine in it's power band. I also am looking at having the ecm sent out and reprogramed and losing the Banks ottomind chip all together.

Just to clarify the Banks Stinger plus includes 3" downpipe, new quick spool turbo housing, KN air filter, 3.5" tail pipe Banks straight thru muffler, trans command and the Ottomind ECM chip. I removed the KN and put in an open air element

Thanks Marc

nytpsd

Reaction score
Another alternative to changing gears is to make more torque... I gross about 15K with my trailer, another 3500 when I add the boat and my truck handles it real well. I run in OD on the flats or smaller hills @ 1800... drop it into direct @ 2500 when the hills get bigger. With BDP injectors, TW programming and a SD I/C the truck make a ton of torque and EGTs are pretty reasonable. Work for me... Bob.