$965.00 For Machine Work

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, I'm traveling about 120 miles round trip soon to tour the machine shop I found that may do my machining. I asked today if they could linebore, deck the block and install 8 sleeves and the answer was 965. I had to ask what that meant. I'm thinking its kinda low but when I walk thru the shop I'll be able to tell if its a compentant shop or not. Gee, this being retired and having lots of time to do whatever I want whenever I want is great. What I probably do is take them both blocks and cranks and have them tell me which one will work the best. Maybe even have both blocks done and build a spare motor for "later on"..... :Sly :Sly :rotflmao ;Really

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys make me sick. I'll be busting butt in the heat all day. I don't have enough time to get the truck off the road to get it fixed even.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
icanfixall said:
Gee, this being retired and having lots of time to do whatever I want whenever I want is great.

Got 87 days until I'm retirement elligible. But I have too many projects I want to do that retirement won't pay for. So I plan to work 5 more years to finish off some projects.

Now for machine work, that don't seem an unrealistic price. I've gotten one in that same range from a reputable shop.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I talked with the engineers at Mahle today. They now "understand" these motors can run either turbo pistons and rods or not. The standard small pin piston weighs about 1262 grams and the turbo large pin piston weighs in at 1368 grams. They also told me the really bad news. They can't sell directly to me. I need to be a shop or in otherwords I need to be someone special. I really not like that at all. Travis.... You remember the heads you helped me get.... It seems Dieselcast Welding wouldn't sell to me because I live west of the Rockies. They told me to buy from their west coast store in Portland Oregon. Gee, it sounded good till portland wanted about $125.00 MORE for the same head!!!. Well.. I bought them thru Travis. I had them drop shipped to frotwayne indiana then shipped to me on the west coast. We the brotherhood showed them. You just can't keep a boobman down... Not with the "hood" behind you.... :hail

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Tell the machine shop you will drop them a $20 bill if they have them shipped there. If you are doing the machine work there, they will prolly work with you. I know I would have when I ran the machine shop.

sassyrel

Reaction score
hmmmm-that means the 7.3 block i got--with sleeves already in it--with just a small pinhole to weld shut--where it leaked water--for 300.00---might have done alright????? :D :D :D

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
If you have one hole, you probably have more coming... Thats why they stated that its not worth it to have the one cavitated sleeve redone, but to get all 8 resleeved. Therefore by welding that one hole shut you are just delaying the inevitable, IMO. So check your odometer and see how far it gets.

However, you could be lucky and have only one worn sopt on one sleeve, the point which has already cavitated. If so, you lucky sonuvagun.